Sub Output

allinthemind

Ex Member
Reaction score
i know i might be in the wrong room here but i thought i would try here first:

i am running arcams pre power diva combo in 7.1 channels with the .1 as a quake.

Whilst knob fiddling i noticed that different DSP outputs from the 700 gives more or less bass. even in stereo plus sub (here it is the 'loudest').

If i change to plII music or IIx music ot neo6 music, its still there but not as forward.

i have the xover on the amp at 60hz with the quake set to about the same.

Dont get me wrong im not complaining here, just curious as to why i get different volumes from an lfe output in different modes.

:)

Well, I guess that kinda depends on your speaker config as to how much bass is redirected to the Sub (if you have any 'small' speakers). Certainly in the case of having a mix of small and large speakers, the different processing modes have different algorithms that steer different levels to each speaker. A greater level going to a small speaker means the sub has to do its bottom-end work, hence the kind of effect you've noticed.

On the Stereo+Sub front, there is a separate control for how much sub level there is for this mode, so you can tweak this to your heart's content!

But in short, that's just kinda the way it is. You'll find the same kinda thing going on in the processing modes in any other processor, ours or not.

allinthemind said:
I have the xover on the amp at 60hz with the quake set to about the same.

You should not have the Quake's crossover set to the same frequency as the AVP700's crossover setting. Doing this will end up will unnatural and unreliable crossover results and the the crossovers will interfere with each other.

You need to set the 'mode' switch on the Quake to 'mode 2' or 'mode'4 which is the LFE mode and it will bypass the crossover on the subwoofer leaving just the crossover on the AVP700 to do its job properly.

Thanks also Crustyloafer.

But, why would you need to bypass the subs xover?

I thought that was the whole point in having a crossover, so that you can adjust to suit the amp? I dont see any other REL subs having this option.

I have also noticed that the 700 has 2 sub outputs- rca & balanced. If i were to add another sub in the future can i use both connections at the same time for LFE?

Thanks again.

allinthemind said:
Thanks also Crustyloafer.

But, why would you need to bypass the subs xover?

I thought that was the whole point in having a crossover, so that you can adjust to suit the amp? I dont see any other REL subs having this option.

I have also noticed that the 700 has 2 sub outputs- rca & balanced. If i were to add another sub in the future can i use both connections at the same time for LFE?

Thanks again.

1. You already have a crossover, it is in the AVP700, you only need one working. The crossover on the sub is more useful in stereo applications when hooked up to a stereo amplifier which does not have any crossover.

2. Yes you can use both connections at the same time, providing your second subwoofer has a balanced input on it. Subwoofers with this feature tend to be much further up the range than the Quake, the REL Stadium 3 at £1500 would be a suitable model.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom