• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sub or not???

fancyabrew

I've just upgraded my old Yamaha E800 to a nice Onkyo 705, I've got a Arcam A85 running my fronts (Kef Q5's)and the Onkyo running my rears (Kef Ci400's) and front Kef Q9c I'm looking at adding another two Kef Ci 400's and am in two minds on whether to add a sub, is this going to be worth it considering the Q5's I'm running as my fronts have quite a bit of grunt??? Looking at a Kef PSW 2005 to keep it in the Kef family.

Andywilliams

I've just upgraded my old Yamaha E800 to a nice Onkyo 705, I've got a Arcam A85 running my fronts (Kef Q5's)and the Onkyo running my rears (Kef Ci400's) and front Kef Q9c I'm looking at adding another two Kef Ci 400's and am in two minds on whether to add a sub, is this going to be worth it considering the Q5's I'm running as my fronts have quite a bit of grunt??? Looking at a Kef PSW 2005 to keep it in the Kef family.

I wouldnt bother with a kef sub it doesnt matter if subs are the same make or not. I would have a look at the bk xls200 much better than the kef and it wont self destruct.
Andy.

iainsilvester

A sub is essential to hear proper HC. You'll tell us so after you get one:)

fancyabrew

right thats decided then, another two Ci400 and a sub coming up!

inicholson

Can I pose a similar question?

I'm still using an old Yamaha E800 driving a pair of Linn AV5110 s as rear speakers and two Linn LK100 power amps driving a pair of active Keilidhs as my front speakers. bearing in mind that making keilidhs active improves the bass enormously (the passive crossover rolls the bass off so it doesn't become uncontrolled but the active crossover doesn't as it now has its own power amp).

Will adding a sub do anything for me?

Or would the money be better spent on a new DVD player (I'm using a cheap Cambridge Audio player) or a better amp than the Yamaha to drive the rear channels (I'm not about to part with the Linn amps or Keilidhs) or even a centre speaker (I use the "virtual centre" setting in my 4.0 setup - it seems to work very well)?

badbob

Banned
For music, with floorstanders you don't need a subwoofer- most bass is around 30hz so easily within the reach of floorstanders. However for AV there are pratically no floorstanders capable of this low bass, the frequency of bass soundtracks is much lower and at a much higher dB. Buy a matching centre too.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom