Question SUB Options

ElSneaks

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to move house and have some scope for upgrading an ageing Home Cinema set-up, specifically Sub(s)

I am running KEF R700 and R600C at the front and love their sound. The L/R are biamped using a 5 channel Roksan Power Amp and the Centre (Biamped) and rear surrounds are running from another Roksan 5 channel power. Processor is likely to be an Arcam AV40 (yep, I know it's buggy!) for want of a better option with the functionality at the price - and bearing in mind I'm coming from a Roksan Caspian DSP some 20 years old!

I currently have an REL Quake which is pretty much redundant for movies when partnered with the KEFs and I'm looking for a lot more depth for films. Movie to music is around 60 : 40, so the set-up needs to be musically adept too and I prefer a taught, punchy bass for music.

So, this is where I'm at :

2 x XTZ 12.17 Edge
or
1x Arendal 1723s 1s

My room is 4.5m x 3.5m
These are basically the limit of my budget, though if worth it - I could be tempted by the 1v. Couple of questions:

1. Is there a significant benefit to 2xSubs vs 1x
2. Is that (assumed) benefit (ie the 2x XTZ) going to outperform the single Arendal given that we have Dirac in play?
3. For music, does the choice of sub matter given the depth of the KEFs and the size of the room?

Though less important, I like the look and build quality of the Arendal but with that said, the XTZ look pretty good, especially when considering the price.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated and my apologies for the rambling nature of the post!

Cheers

2 subs will almost always be better than one. Your room is virtually the same size as mine, I wouldn’t think a single 1s would be enough.

Have you considered a pair of the 1961s instead?

2 subs will almost always be better than one. Your room is virtually the same size as mine, I wouldn’t think a single 1s would be enough.

Have you considered a pair of the 1961s instead?

Thanks for that.

I am now! Looking at the numbers they look like the better option vs the XTZ. I've contacted Arendal to get their views. I'm definitely leaning towards Arendal, their build quality is impressive.

Thanks for that.

I am now! Looking at the numbers they look like the better option vs the XTZ. I've contacted Arendal to get their views. I'm definitely leaning towards Arendal, their build quality is impressive.

@Jenz has just moved to a pair of these instead of an xtz, let’s see if he chips in with some feedback....

I didn't have the 12.17 XTZ Edge I had the larger more powerful 1x12 XTZ Cinema. It was a great Sub.

I've now gone to two Arendal 1961 1s Subs and must say I'm extremely pleased and feel that my, albeit small 12ft8inx8ft10in, room has much better overall LFE, faster more powerful chest slam and cleaner audio for music. Delivered think they worked out about £1475 for the pair.

My LCR is M&K 750THX's and the subs integrate very well with them. I suspect you'd find the same with your Kef's.

The Dual Sub option has given me a major benefit in removing several nulls in my room :smashin:

I think XTZ 12.17 edge have port noise problem in some situations. Something worth taking into consideration as well.

Not so long ago I was also choosing between Arendal and XTZ. Back then I got single sub 1 and few days ago a 2nd one has arrived.

Now I am planning rollout in phases of Arendal speakers to replace current 5.2.4 with 7.2.4 so that is what can happen when you start experimenting with Arendals :D

I didn't have the 12.17 XTZ Edge I had the larger more powerful 1x12 XTZ Cinema. It was a great Sub.

I've now gone to two Arendal 1961 1s Subs and must say I'm extremely pleased and feel that my, albeit small 12ft8inx8ft10in, room has much better overall LFE, faster more powerful chest slam and cleaner audio for music. Delivered think they worked out about £1475 for the pair.

My LCR is M&K 750THX's and the subs integrate very well with them. I suspect you'd find the same with your Kef's.

The Dual Sub option has given me a major benefit in removing several nulls in my room :smashin:

Thanks @Jenz - that's exactly the type of thing I wanted to hear. I was fairly certain it was the right move but my budget has basically doubled from my original plan (always the way, right?) so pulling the trigger required someone else to chime in with a gentle "do it' ! I thank you :smashin:

I think XTZ 12.17 edge have port noise problem in some situations. Something worth taking into consideration as well.

Not so long ago I was also choosing between Arendal and XTZ. Back then I got single sub 1 and few days ago a 2nd one has arrived.

Now I am planning rollout in phases of Arendal speakers to replace current 5.2.4 with 7.2.4 so that is what can happen when you start experimenting with Arendals :D

Thanks @sebna - that's good to know re the port noise. I'm of a mind that there can be too much to play with in some circumstances - particularly when I have Dirac to consider as well. The Arendal seem to have a good balance of toys. Like you, there is a good chance that this will lead to new rears and potentially the addition of backs as well...... might need to build a wall first mind you!

Time to place an order.....

Thanks again
:)

Have a read through my build post and you’ll see all my experimenting with them :clap:

2E1E2DF9-E934-43D4-9384-293448224D55.jpeg

Last edited:

Can confirm this slippery slope 😅

Listen to what @mb3195 says, the man knows a thing or two about having subs in a room 🤣

But yes, definitely get two subs if you can, even if you have to save a bit more over time. 2 x Arendal 1961 Sub 1S is frankly one of the best values currently out there.

Is there a significant benefit to 2xSubs vs 1x

If you only want the bass to sound good at one particular spot in the room AND have lots of flexibility in the placement position of the subwoofer then you MAY be able to get good response from a single sub.

Otherwise, for best results going with two or more subs is always recommended. The benefit is significant.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom