1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Next to cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Monster, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm looking at getting a new sub and am wondering about where to put it. From a physical point of view, the best place is behind the TV cabinet BUT it would mean pushing speaker cable out the way, it wouldn't be too far from the scart and my videos are also kept in the cabinet. I'm looking at the Paradigm PDR 10. My questions are 1. Will the sub affect the speaker cable, scart, interconnects etc (All the AV equipment is below the TV in the cabinet) 2. How far away from the sub should the video cassetts be kept (also in the cabinet). 3.Does the sub need to sit on a hard floor or on carpet? Thanks in anticipation!

2. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Monster,
    My sub sits over the speaker cable and I don't believe there is any difficulty in doing that as the speaker signals are not low level. However, the scart and other interconnects should be kept away from mains cables/transformers inside subs/etc as I believe that may induce hum and other interference. In the event of a problem, experimenting with re-routing the cables should do the trick.
    My sub sits on spikes which penetrate the carpet, I don't know about the Paradigm but I would be surprised if it also didn't use spikes to decouple it from the floor - I'm sure someone else can confirm that here.
    As for video cassettes, what are they? As prerecorded video tapes start deteriorating after about the 8th play, I doubt if the magnets in a sub would manage any damage before then, but maybe other people have had a different experience.