1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub newbie, sub for 7mx4m room

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by sapkan, Jan 4, 2005.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Which SVS for home cinema setup in a 7 by 4m room, used 70% for movies and 30% music? Will most probably be used with a full-size speaker package but quality sub/sat is also an option. Tube or box please explain the differences. :lease: :lease: :lease:

2. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Forgot to add, sub will most probably be behind the listener. Is that a problem in any way?

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sapkan - If you email SVS with you're requirments they will give you there recommendations as to which sub in their range is best for you, check there web site for the email address

www.svsubwoofers.com

John

4. Des Flurane

Des Flurane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And let us know what they recommend, always instructional;-)
    Des.

5. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    will do

p.s. Is there any fundamental difference between the tube and box SVS subs apart from the shape?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No fundamental differences in general as they tend to use the same amps and drivers but the differences in porting may make some easier to position than others in certain rooms

7. Des Flurane

Des Flurane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weight, 'cos if your importing from the states postage is a factor.
    In my case it's the difference between a PCUltra and a PB12-ISD/2. That is the choice I have atm.
    Des.

8. Bass-Oldie

Bass-Oldie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    @ sapkan

For a 28 sqm room, I would recommend to look into a dual Sub config.
    As the Sub(s) will be located behind the seat, this is an additional benefit as the exposions are then middled up, instead of coming from one side, which is not that nice.

For the product, it's mostly up to your liking in terms of total pressure, your way to hear movies at which sound level and your budget.

At a minimum to start with I would go for a dual 25-31 PC+ (which needs less space as a box solution) or a dual PB12-ISD/2 or PB12-Plus (which offers a sidetable function f.o.c. :)).
    If you want to spend more money because of the wish for even more headroom, a dual PC-Ultra or a dual PB12-Plus/2 would come into my mind.

I would think you should be clear about the budget, before we can go further.

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I think a single PC Ultra should be fine. I have my PC Ultra in a room larger than the one described and it fills it quite easily. The Ultra driver has a nicer sound to it too imho, and takes up less floor space, therefore is more wife friendly :)

10. Bass-Oldie

Bass-Oldie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    @ sapkan

You have written "behind the listener".
    Does this mean centrally behind or on the left or right side behind the listener?

I had the experience with a Sub on just one side beside the couch and it was no good.

11. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Its likely it would be slightly to one side, closer to the corner of the room. If it is centrally behind the couch it would be below a window, and from my understanding subs and windows do not mix well. Oldie, whats wrong with having it slightly to the side?

might have to forget about SVS after all, just received their reply and they suggest $390 for door to airport and $600 door to door for a 25/31 PC+ to Bulgaria!!! They have quoted $150 to Greece on their website so I cant imagine where the difference comes from. Btw how do they charge their delivery, as far as I understand their order form they get you to pay for the sub and then they give you a shipping quote which you have to accept cause you've paid for the sub already?!

12. Bass-Oldie

Bass-Oldie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    For the payment:

You pay the shipping quote and the Sub in one go before hand via credit card in US$.
    Then you pay in addition whatever the local taxes are to the company which ships the Sub to your country. That bill (in your local currency) usually comes a little after the import has been finished.

For the placement:

If the Sub is only slightly shifted to one side and behind, it's fine.
    Mine was beside me, on one side only and that was annoying as all the explosions where no longer assigned to the movie rather to an action outside the screen.
    The idea of non directional bass is fine for music, but with explosions its again VERY noticeable, where they are coming from, once you own a Subwoofer from SVS and sit close to it...

13. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The delivery charges are Bax's. They must have a reason to charge more for one country over another, based on their worldwide experience. The low charges for air freight are considered very good value by most customers. It would cost far more to arrange private delivery of something that weight yourself.

SVS ask you to place a formal order online, before they go to the trouble of quoting for freight, probably because it reduces timewasters. The small hurdle of filling out an order form will put off those who simply become curious while browsing.

I presume SVS can use your situation in their distribution data even if you don't confirm an order.

You have no need to worry about being committed to a purchase though just because you fill out the order form. Nobody is going to force you to pay if you don't confirm your order. :)

Nimby