1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Mordaunt Short 909W...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Lord Axl, May 20, 2004.

1. Lord Axl

Lord Axl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ..how about this sub?It has a good price I think,anybody knows (or/and listens to) his performances?Thanks a lot,bye.LORD AXL

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My Lord,

I heard this subwoofer at the Bristol Hifi show earlier this year and thought that it sounded very good indeed despite being in large hotel conference room with very high ceilings and full of people and can heartily recommend it for anyone's short list.

Your obedient and most humble servant

3. Lord Axl

Lord Axl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks a lot servant :D Ian J,how will you compare it to a B&W Asw 650?Both has,if I'm right,a 12'' woofer with B&W 200w and MS 300w amplifiers. Thanks again,bye.LORD AXL

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm dreadfully sorry my lord but I haven't heard the B&W sub so can't compare.

5. Lord Axl

Lord Axl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ah..thanks anyway ;)

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,307
    Axl- saw your PM but thought I'd reply here- it helps people doing searches on product- to get the most information on the product.

The 909 has never been tried against the 650 to my knowledge- we have done a 675 comparison though. The 909 (like all the current MS range) is a wrap rather than veneer finish and it is physically larger than the 650/75. We hit back with the fact that the 909 has the room EQ features of the THX pack and simply the fact that the larger cabinet helps bass response. Given that the 909 can be set to ignore the resonant point of the room it is in, it can generally be run harder than the competition in a normal listening enviroment.

7. Lord Axl

Lord Axl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you Tons of fun,so you are satisfied with it I think...what do you refer in particular when you say "run harder" than other subs?Sorry,I'm a newbie of HT in general...

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,307
    I'm satisified with them but I am biased so I would always, always encourage you to get a demo or (even better) a home trial. When I say about running them harder, I mean that because you can tune out the irritating boom when your sub finds the natural resonant frequency of the room (and it always will :p ) you can generally run a higher level from the sub without discomfort or murderous neighbours.