1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub-merging?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cineman, Sep 27, 2003.

1. cineman

cineman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Help me someone, Please! My home cinema room is approx 3m x 7m and I'm after some advice regarding my subwoofer(s). I love going to the cinema, where they have oodles of bass thumping through the floor, so why can't I get the same effect at home? I have the Mission cinema six-pack speaker's which include the 70-ASE sub (100W), and I also have an old Sony SA-W305 (50W). The Mission goes down to 36Hz and the Sony to 28Hz, I set the Mission 1/4 level and the Sony 1/2 level as that's all I can bear otherwise it's too boomy. They are not used together at the moment by the way, but both could be attached to my Sony STR-DB930 at the same time, should I do this? Or is it better to get an SPL meter and try to set it/them up with that. Any other suggestions to improve LFE would also be appreciated, Thanx.:confused:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You can get the same effect at home but unfortunately not with the two subwoofers that you are using. Most manufacturers are very optimistic with their figures and it is highly unlikely that your Sony goes anywhere near 28Hz.

In any event, the sort of bass that you can feel rather than hear starts lower down the frequency scale than your subs are capable of.

I would suggest that you consider selling both of your subs and replacing them with one that will go lower and I would suggest something like the BK XLS200 costing £279 from here or if you can't run to that, a Velodyne VX-10 which you can get from forum sponsors av-sales.com

3. cineman

cineman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the prompt reply Ian, I'd always wondered if it was something like that, as I thought I was missing out on the depth thing somewhat.

I once had the Sony jammed behind the sofa which then worked more like a transducer, and you could feel the bass through the sofa, but it used to unnerve our visitor's too much.

I'll try a new model as soon as the pennies have mounted up a bit!

Cineman.

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I've looked at the BK website Ian links to and I found it quite interesting.
    They seem to provide a reasonable spec sub in the form of the BK XLS200 at a very reasonable price. Just curious if anyone has ever tried one.