Question Sub level adjustment

UMAR 3:16

Reaction score
Question, after running XT32, my main sub volume on the sub is barley turned. As in probably the 35 position of the dial. The calibration shows the sub level at -3.5 in the 8805. That I adjust to around +5.5 to bring up the bass. Is that correct or should I be turning up the main volume on the sub itself? The sub is a monster SVS PB12 Plus 2 so power is not an issue for it. I could probably turn the volume in the 8805 to max and it would handle it. Just to summarise my question is, which is the best way to turn up the volume? Through the processor or the sub itself? And if it’s through the processor which I’m doing now as I find it sounds smoother than the amp plate, is there a limit to turning it up?
Thanks

Turn up the volume on the sub more then run audyssey again
If I turn up the sub volume more Audyssey basically says the sub level is too high! Make adjustment

As above, turn the sub up then run Audyssey. I tend to set the sub so it reads around 78/79db on the SW Level Match screen.

As above, turn the sub up then run Audyssey. I tend to set the sub so it reads around 78/79db on the SW Level Match screen.
That’s what mine reads with the current setting.

Increase it a bit more. Anywhere within the minus figures after Audyssey has run is fine as long as it's not -12db.
It was minus 3.5 after the run... but with that setting there is not enough bass...? Increase it more? And will i need to rerun Audyssey? It will go into the red level reading if I do on the calibration screen?

It was minus 3.5 after the run... but with that setting there is not enough bass...? Increase it more? And will i need to rerun Audyssey? It will go into the red level reading if I do on the calibration screen?

The higher you set the sub the lower the -db setting will be which in turn then gives you more range to increase it manually afterwards. In the red is ok, as long as it's not -12db afterwards.

The higher you set the sub the lower the -db setting will be which in turn then gives you more range to increase it manually afterwards. In the red is ok, as long as it's not -12db afterwards.
Ok, I’ll try that. But it doesn’t affect the overall sound quality of the other speakers does it? When making manual adjustment through the 8805, should it always be in the minus?

Jase is pointing you in the right direction.

You may need some trial and error to get the level where you want it. Just try 3 sweeps each time.

Ok, I’ll try that. But it doesn’t affect the overall sound quality of the other speakers does it? When making manual adjustment through the 8805, should it always be in the minus?

Nah, no effect on the other speakers. I prefer to keep below -6db as any higher used to cause my Anti-Mode 8033C to clip. Even an AM Dual Core I briefly had needed to be set to the low sensitivity setting and have the SW below -6db or it would saturate the inputs and flash the warning lights.

Jase is pointing you in the right direction.

You may need some trial and error to get the level where you want it. Just try 3 sweeps each time.
3 sweeps and then stop and check result?

Last edited:
Yes. Leave the mic in the first position for all three sweeps then hit calculate. Three positions is the minimum Audyssey will allow before you can finish.
Between -3 and -6 acceptable?

Between -3 and -6 acceptable?

I would aim for a bit lower if you're going to increase it afterwards. -10db for example will give you plenty of adjustment range upwards. Say you manually increase the sub by 6db you'll then be at -4db.

I would aim for a bit lower if you're going to increase it afterwards. -10db for example will give you plenty of adjustment range upwards. Say you manually increase the sub by 6db you'll then be at -4db.
Ran the 1st sweep. Had sub at 82db. Calculated -12 on 8805. So now doing it again. Let’s see what it gives

2nd sweep didn’t pick up the sub! So weird. So doing it again. Running sub at 79/80db now

Ok, set at -9 so sweeping all 8 now

Usually takes a couple of attempts to dial it in depending on how sensitive the gain/volume knob is.
Ok, set at -9 so sweeping all 8 now. What’s the max I should take the sub vol manually?

Ok, set at -9 so sweeping all 8 now. What’s the max I should take the sub vol manually?

I would try it as is first. If it's lacking then add 3db to see if that's any better and then go a further 3db (up to a total of 6db increase) if you feel you need even more.

I would try it as is first. If it's lacking then add 3db to see if that's any better and then go a further 3db (up to a total of 6db increase) if you feel you need even more.
Played Dolby leaf at reference. Sub manually adjusted to -2.5. Now that’s more like it. Thanks Jase as usual mate. 🙏🏻

With your subwoofer, it's best to add gain at the subwoofer after Audyssey runs. The gain was set so low the amp couldn't be driven to full power. It's OK to leave the AVR sub channel level set in the middle of the negative region.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom