1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub & Laminate flooring... Bad mix?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cerebros, May 23, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm going to be moving into a new place in just over a weeks time and the new lounge where my AV gear will go has laminate flooring. Also, due to the layout of the room, I'm probably going to have to consider setting my speakers as small and adding a subwoofer in order to combat bass boom from less than ideal positioning of the main speakers.

Thing is, I've never owned a sub before, much less used speakers in a room with laminate flooring, and I'm wondering if the sub itself would be subject to undesirable effects of the flooring.

While the gf and I are planning on having a big-ish rug in the room, can anyone give me advice on whether a sub would likely work well as is with the 3 piece suite, or if i'd have to put in a lot more soft items to prevent standing waves and stuff?

cheers

(details of the room layout can be seen in this thread
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=80077)

2. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Shared same problem. Main issue for me with laminated is cableing to be honest as you cant loop it under floor boards. I bought QED Silver Anniv as it's white and discrete when run along skirting board but there are cheaper alternatives. re: Sub. main issue is large room & no carpet as you mention. We have a large rug and that soaks up some along with overstuffed sofa. I could use curtains instead of blinds (but gf insisted on blinds). It should be fine. Neighbours haven't complained and we are first floor with one above. I still get great base, trebles were a bit wild at first but they have damped down or I got used to them. Shelving if stuffed with books helps but that is a bit drastic imho.

3. mumu

mumu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just re-decorated with laminate floor (had the floor up completely so all cabling is now underfloor with terminal plates in the wall for all speakers :D ), and much to my surprise the sub actually sounds better than before.
    I do have a large rug in the middle of the room though and the sub is well away from the corners.