Sub just exploded

narcoticsuite

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a brand new sub a week ago or so, and it literally just made a very loud bang and the grille fell off to reveal a woofer that had ripped itself apart and smoke was pouring out.

it was probably only the third time I had connected it up and I have not been cranking the volume up at all. it blew when the kids were watching TV and it was at a very moderate level. There were no odd noises before it went bang. The only thing I thought I had noticed was that the sub seemed generally a bit quiet, in that all else being equal I had to have gain at around 75% whereas the log rhythm was always fine at about 50%. Not sure if that’s of any relevance though.

I’m not sub expert but I’m no stranger to them either and know how to connect them properly.

I would rather not name the brand at this stage, but it is a very well known brand and their subs are generally well regarded as is the company itself.

It was connected to a Denon receiver which is still working fine and the power socket the sub was plugged into is fine. I have been using the same receiver with an old ruark log rhythm plugged into the same socket for the last year with no problems. I’ll hook the log rhythm back up tomorrow and see if that blows!

I have e-mailed the manufacturer and hope to hear from them tomorrow.

but what on Earth could have caused this? I never imagined a sub could blow like that. Do they not have circuitry designed to prevent this sort of thing? The kids were terrified and I was seriously considering chucking it outside as there was so much smoke.

As expected, the manufacturer has contacted me this morning and arranged for the sub to be picked up by courier. They even offered to send me a demo sub just to make sure that I had one over the Xmas period, but I’ve got the log rhythm so that wasn’t necessary. They were equally mystified as to what may have happened but hopefully once they’ve had a chance to examine the sub they’ll have a better idea. I will reveal all once this is all resolved.

Well at least the manufacturer has done the right thing and responded as soon as they could.

Hopefully it is a one off and you have just been unfortunate.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom