1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Interference

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bass007, Nov 27, 2004.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi, When I first purchased my REL STRATA 5 I used a normal patch sub lead, this caused a constant buzzing in the sub, it wasn't loud but loud enough to be get noticed especially at low volumes.

Then I upgraded to the QED Micro sub lead, I was pleased all the buzzing was gone.

Due to the upfrade bug I ordered a Russ Andrews Sub lead which cost me £150.00 and was hoping for a improvement, when I recived it this morning inspested the cable it beautifully made, but to my horror as soon as I pluged it in it prduced a very loud buzzing, which was much louder than the patch chord used before??

Why is this happing? the cable is shieled....

Please help..

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the cable have the arrows on both ends as sometimes it has to be connected from source to sub / telling you which way the signal is being fed!

Does that make sense to you?

John

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I doubt if the 2 noise sources are related. Your hum from the generic lead was almost certainly down to poor shielding or termination over the length of the cable.

The current problem sounds like an earthing problem. Make sure the power lead is seated securely, that it's not damaged and as has been said, that it's connected the right way (probably not even possible). After those obvious checks try it using a different power socket if you can and using your old lead.

Next point of call will be contacting RA for their take on it. Depending on the amp panel it may be easy to disconnect the earth in the wire and solve the problem. This won't be dangerous if the amp panel has a logo showing 2 white boxes, one inside the other usually next to the power socket or with the power information.

4. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi, I will try the changing the mains cable later on this evening, and see what happens I've tried changing the direction of the cable in regards to the arrows, and still the same buzzing sound.

5. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I know cables are a very contentious? issue but £150 for a sub lead?
    Unless its a very long lead that sounds expensive.
    A Mark Grant lead in the powerbuys will also be beautifully made and would save you a few bob. 10m would be £80 odd!
    If you could tell the difference in sound quality I would eat my hat.

6. Solidstate

Solidstate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    My sub buzzed until I moved it across the room and plugged it into the same mains socket as the Amp. Apparently after looking around on the net I found that this is a common solution to many sub buzz problems.

Might be worth a try.