Sub integration....I got it all wrong (cheers Ian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am now sick of Titan AE. Period.

I've just played through the ice-field sequence about 20 times:D

Why? Well, today I visited Ian J to buy his old REL Storm (top bloke, despite calling me a "classifieds harpy" previously ;)) and I was frankly amazed at how well integrated it was with his system.

Now that may seem like a daft statement, after all every AV nut knows how to do it don't they?, but man did I have it wrong (after 5 years of this obsession, I still feel like a n00b).

They say that ignorance is bliss, not in this case. Previously I thought I'd got it right, the Servo 15 loads my living quite nicely and it was (so I thought) nicely balanced.

Ian's Storm was just SO well balanced with his system, subtle, smooth yet forceful when it needed to be - some of these words could be viewed as contradicting each other, yet that is, after all, what a subwoofer is supposed to achieve (perhaps why setting them up isn't as easy as many think).

I was equally astounded when I looked at the settings on the back.....compared to my own settings (and yes I know all living rooms are different) the thing was practically switched off!

And I realised just how badly mine was set up.

So, tonight I've treated myself (and my neighbours, oh how they must love me;) ) to Titan AE.

I've moved the sub.
And moved it again.
I've turned it up.
And turned it down.
Then turned it down again...

....and again....

.....and again:D

Wow, what a difference. It still has the force to rattle my trouser legs and punch me in the stomach, but it's altogether a much more refined sound (no Servo 15 quips please eric;) ). In short I'm well chuffed with it:D

And the agenda for tomorrow? More tinkering (yes I still think it can be improved:eek: )......but I think I'll pass on Titan AE:D

I wish I could play the ice field part without the usual cracks and bangs from my sub, heres to my next purchase.:)

what are you buying?

Hi Smirfin, it is amazing on how different a sub can sound with better positioning and finetuned setup. I have a IPL Acoustic DIY kit sub and I orginally had it set way way too hot and crossover way to high, it was booming badly.

After a movement into a center position, moved foward and a lowering of the crossover a much more balanced sound is now eminating from my subwoofer.

Titan AE I have played my fav sceens so many times, loads of bass in that movie.

Originally posted by Smurfin
what are you buying?

most probably a REL, I usually buy secondhand as I have a decent used HiFi shop nearby. Basicaly , if he gets something interesting in stock I will take it home and try it, if Im happy then buy it. Rel are fairly staple fair in the shop, one or two a month, but it has made me wonder why people are getting rid of them:eek:

Originally posted by karkus30
Rel are fairly staple fair in the shop, one or two a month, but it has made me wonder why people are getting rid of them:eek:

In my case, I sold my Storm as I had replaced it with another Storm. The new one is a mark 3 in rosewood which looks much nicer in the room.

The chap that I bought it off was selling his two Storms to buy a Velodyne HGS-18

Originally posted by Ian J
In my case, I sold my Storm as I had replaced it with another Storm. The new one is a mark 3 in rosewood which looks much nicer in the room.

The chap that I bought it off was selling his two Storms to buy a Velodyne HGS-18

Probably installing it in his car ;) The RELs give nice tight bass output and are not OTT for small cinema installations, so I would be more than happy with something like the storm. Two storms must be awesome, so what on earth must the Velodyne do the structure of your property.

Originally posted by karkus30
Two storms must be awesome,

Three people that I know have had problems integrating two Storms well. I don't think that this is a symptom of the particular subwoofer but that it isn't as easy to integrate two of any subwoofer as people might think.

I have been playing with my new Storm this morning trying to get it sounding as well integrated as the old one as so far I am 80% of the way there but not near enough.

I have been using music DVDs and my current favourite for bass is Hotel California from Don Henley Live (for those that haven't heard it, a most interesting rendition).

I had it just about there and switched from the DD track to DTS - what a difference. The life disappeared completely as if it had been compressed, with no treble at all.

DTS rules - not in my house it doesn't.

Can't wait for the dts fanboys to get hold of that one:D

Not that I want to get into this DTS debate too deeply, but having listened to the battle scene in Gladiator in both formats, I was convinced that standard 5.1 was better, this was a blind listening test and was performed several times with the same result.

My M8 whose system it was tried to convince me the DTS version was better, but after long hard listening sesions with standard HiFi, I know what I heard.

This might just have been this one recording or maybe his system was at fault.

LOL please don't turn this into a dts thread......

Smurf

Did you replace the Servo or r u running both. Just interested

Originally posted by petrolhead
Smurf

Did you replace the Servo or r u running both. Just interested
I think he's still got the Servo - when I saw he'd bought the REL I almost jumped in to see if he was selling his Servo. Mind you, he'd probably manage to sell it on ebay for about £700... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Liam

Keeping the Servo without any shadow of a doubt:D

The Storm is a class piece of kit mind, I still can't believe how damn "good" it sounded in Ians living room.

I'd Eric to tweak my Servo 15 if he was ever in the Cambridge area, but that would go against his every principal;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom