Sub in Stereo as well as 5.1?

The Moog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have just made my first sub purchase (from a powerbuy off these very forums) of an SVS SB-12Plus. It is lovely, and from the brief time I have had with it thus far, certainly adds some much needed bottom end to my 5.1 set-up :D

Now, I have a seperate stereo set-up in the same room, and although I am very happy with the speakers I use for this and their ability to handle the low stuff, I was wondering if I could use the same sub with both setups? It has both high level inputs and low level inputs, and as I am running the LFE channel of the 5.1 from the low level, could I run my stereo amp through the high level?

Cheers for the input guys,

The Moog

Yes you can and the SB12 makes it double easy, because you can set the crossover frequency to suit the stereo set up and then just switch the crossover to defeat with the separate switch when reverting to surround mode.

If you're carefull, you may be able set the sub's gain to suit the stereo setup and then adjust the LFE gain in the AV receivers menus to match. It'll save having to adjust the subs gain each time you switch systems.

Russell

As already suggested, yes you can.
Having said that, there are a whole host of people who are simply not convinced by the use of subs in good dedicated stereo systems. Infact I've never come across one in a really good high end system, and it's not that these people are short on the wonga to buy one.
Unfortunately, subs are not the easiest thing to integrate well with music. Might be fine with wizbang stuff, but often loses coherence across the frequency range when compared to a really good pair of stereo speakers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't use one, just don't expect it to be automatically make things better. Might actually make things worse...

Cheers for the input guys,
Like I say I am really happy with the stereo speakers I have and their bottom end, and they are in a completely different league to the lovely little SB-12Plus, I am just interested to try it and see how it sounds. If it doesn't gel well, then I have lost nothing and will just use the sub for its origonally intended purpose in the home cinema setup.

The Moog

Oh dear, oh dear!

The reason subs integrate so well with with AV setups is because they can be utilised fully and effectively due to the presence of bass management.

The advantages a sub can bring, are only fully realised when it is able to take bass AWAY from the main speakers. This results in lower power demands and decreased cone excursion, both of which result in reduced distortion ALL the way up the frequency range.

The average (and not so average) stereo setup, generally only has a sub working to 'fill in' the frequencies below those of the main speakers, which fails to take advantage of all of the possible benefits of taking the effort to integrate a sub properly.

Do a search in the subs forum on 'active crossovers' where there is considerable knowledge shared by members using them with success in stereo setups.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom