Sub in a Kitchen Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Noswar, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Noswar

Noswar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Denon mini system in my kitchen with some diddy Monitor Audio speakers. I would ideally like to add some bass grunt.

However, as this is in a kitchen (13'x11') there is no space to sit a sub. I was thinking about locating a sub in one of the floor standing kitchen cabinets and introducing a grill in the plinth to let the sound out.

Any thoughts on this? Good / bad idea? Anyone alse done this? Suggested Subs (Cheap)? Side or bottom firing in this instance?

BTW, the kitchen floor is tiled and the surfaces are granite so plenty of sound bouncing around...

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I wouldn't say it was a good idea...... the cabinets would give too many unwanted resonances, in my opinion. Have you no space at all for a 15" cube ?

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Up high? Provided the sub is restrained so it doesn't shake itself off the top of a cupboard. Or the sub is fixed securely to a pair of shelf brackets it won't get vertigo. Choose suitable brackets and you could utilise the feet screw holes to hold the sub in place. There are some quite nice bent plywood brackets in several sizes at the DIY emporia that would look the part and are strong enough for a sub.

Problem with kitchens is (as you say) a lack of sound damping. My first real music listening room was a large, attic kitchen. Got any curtains? :)

4. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    I would have thought it would be ok, if you stuffed the cabinet, filling all free space that wasn't taken up with subwoofer.

Get one of these speakercraft ones I keep seeing, they're designed for use in a cabinet, with the controls at the front. They do seem to sell for $550 or so in the states, I just can't find anything to tell me if they're any good or not.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Speakercraft-...oryZ3275QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

5. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    I have a woofer built into my kitchen units. I had this particular one designed with a shallow bottom drawer so the woofer could fit underneath. There is a metal mesh over a large hole in the plinth.

The woofer is a modest port only Bose acoustimush so the port fires straight out the hole. I know this doesnt go very low but it works fine for what it is.

Adam