1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Hum

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by longitude, Nov 29, 2004.

1. longitude

longitude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read previous posts on this subject and it's seems to be quite common. I've just got a Velodyne CHT10R which is just fantastic but I also have a hum which I couldn't hear before. As I hadn't got a sub before I'm assuming I couldn't hear it because my Mission m70i's don't go low enough for it to be noticeable before.

With the a/v amp switched off the hum dissapears. When it's on the hum is present with any source selected. Like other people have reported it's not really a problem when in use but it's enough to be noticeable on quiet passages or when sitting idle. One post suggested removing the earth wire from the mains plug of the sub but there didn't seem to be a reply to say whether that worked or not. I'm using gold plated connectors on all cables so I'm a bit stumped what to try next.

Any suggestions?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'd first suggest trying a different interconnect cable, different mains socket and a different mains lead if possible. Hopefully one of those will isolate the problem to enable you to fix it.

Not sure about removing the earth pin, for this to be safe then the unit probably won't have a connection to earth anyway so it shouldn't make any difference. It'll be safe to do it there is a double box on the back of the unit near the socket.