1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Hum

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ScottW75, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    I've got a loan of a Quad L subwoofer from my local store and i'm very impressed with it. The only problem i notice is a low hum than can be heard upto 7 feet away when the room is slient.

This is with the sub in standby or on. The cable being connected to the line in makes no difference either. I've tried 2 mains cables and 2 different sockets and that made no difference either.

So with nothing connected except the main lead the sub hums. Is this a defective unit or can i try anything else? (i have tried disconnecting the earth wire in the plug, that made no difference either).

Thanks for any replys

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Sounds like the amp in the sub could be faulty, I'd take it back and ask to demo another mate, especially as you have already done the standard checks stated above in your post.

3. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with my Mordaunt-Short sub, annoying aint it! Especially when you're trying to get some shut-eye. I upgraded my digital lead to a Profigold lead (specifically for low frequencies) and it made no difference whatsoever. Waste of money.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    My Pioneer S-W80S hums too. The cause is 100Hz ripple from the power supply, which may only be slight, but it's precisely in the middle of the frequencies that the speaker is tuned to. Not easy to solve, I'm afraid.

5. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    it turns out that the demo unit was faulty. My shiny new black quad L does not make any noise at all.

6. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So is this black Quad sub a keeper for you now Sheep? I've been looking for a more 'musical' sub to replace a Q200, which has never really impressed me to be honest...does "piano black" suit the sub better than the wood finish on your previous unit would you say? Have you, or has anyone compared this Quad directly with any other £700-800 subs then?

Will.

7. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    I compared it with the asw675, which was better than the q200. I then took the quad home and it just sounds excellent. No more boom, just nice deep bass.

The piano black reminds me of darth vaders helmet. its a highly polished black. its much nicer than the wood finish which was quite close to my B&W 603 s3's. I'll bet the black one will be a dust magnet however.

BTW hifi corner sold me mine for £650, the same price as the 675!!

8. NicceAV

NicceAV
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SOLUTION:
    I have also a Pioneer S-W80S with a humming noize. What I did to resolve this humming is that I removed the transformer from the inside and put it on the outside. This got rid of the humming noise and now it's completely silent. The humming noise come from the closeness of the speaker and the transformer.
    Only do this if your familiar with connecting high voltage, and don't forget to seal up all the holes that will be from the screws, else it will sound very funny.

9. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,823
  10. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Why re open an almost 8yr old thread when THIS ONE is current?

This Closed.

K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.