1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub High Level Question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by SteveG, Jan 14, 2003.

1. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi all... been reading these forums for a while now but finally got around to registering.

Anyway, I've just bought a REL Quake subwoofer (which I'm *very* happy with!) to go with my Mission M72's. I've connected the LFE to my amp and was going to buy the Neutrik Speakon cable for the high frequency. I phoned the REL dealer who sold me the sub and he claims that I shouldn't bother buying the cable as if I set my M72's to large, he bets I wouldn't notice any difference with the cable in place.

Was he being particularly helpful in wanting to save me money or is he talking cobblers?

SteveG

Mission M72's
    Mission M7C2
    Mission 73S (rears)
    REL Quake
    Yamaha DSP-A592 Amp
    Panasonic A350 DVD
    Ixos Gold Interconnects

2. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    True, you shouldn't need the cable as your M72 (standmounts right?) should be set to small.

False, if your M72 are set to large (a bizarre idea) you'll notice a huge difference with a high level connection to your sub. You'll actually have some bass!

The only time you might want the high level connection is if your amp (and I don't know if it does) has a direct path which bypasses A/D, D/A conversions (and hence bass management) for stereo sources and you still want to use your subwoofer.

I have and REL with simultaneous high and low inputs and since moving up to a TAG I hardly use the high level connection at all.

Charles.

3. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks for the advice Charles, I'll set them back to small. I'd thought that the small-large settings were the other way round, ie - you wouldn't get bass if they were on small but would on large (floorstanders). The sales-person said (quote) "the M72's are big enough to set to large on your dvd player."

I've always had floorstanders in the past but decided on standmounts + sub as (and I'll quote the wife this time) "they look nicer". :)

That's saved me a job moving all the furniture again and pulling up the carpet - cheers!! :D

SteveG

4. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Errrm, sorry but no. The m72's go down to 56Hz at -3dB (according to Mission's website). This is definitely a "small" speaker for the purposes of an AV set-up. And anyway you'll probably be setting them to small on you amp, not your dvd player (unless your talking DVD-Audio).

The only time you would want to set them to large (IMHO) is if you didn't have a subwoofer so needed to enjoy the (very small region of) upper bass from 56Hz to 80HZ which you would otherwise miss out on.

Charles.

5. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The amp's about 5 years old so it doesn't have any of these new-fangled large-small settings! All the 5.1 processing is done on the Panasonic A350.

Looking to upgrade to the Marantz SR5300 soon, so no doubt I'll have even more settings to fiddle with. The missus will be pleased..

Thanks again!

6. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, sorry, I just assumed that the amp was a digital decoder like most people's setups tend to be these days, didn't bother to think too much!

Charles.