1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub grounding problem

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Polecatpete, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,

Can you tell me if there is anywhere on the 100x5r or the av32 that I can use as a grounding point for the high level input on a REL Stampede ? i was wondering if I could attach the ground lead to a case screw or something similar?

As always, any help greatly appreciated!!

Cheers
    Rob.

2. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    "No" is the answer I believe, as all the TAG products are double insulated and don't have a traditional earth.

3. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have to ask why are you not using the Stampede's LFE phono input as recommended in the REL instruction manual for AV use?

The AV32R has modes such as 'direct + sub' if you are worried about stereo applications.

http://www.rel.net

4. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I am connecting using LFE but REL also recommends in the instruction manual, connecting the high level for stereo use and to also capture any potentially "lost" signal during AV use which wouldn't be fed through the LFE.

I have used direct + sub but found using high level with direct worked better. Just my own opinion but unfortunately looks as if I'll have to lose the high level as I can't ground it.

5. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete

It sound slike you need to check over the AV32R sub and speaker managment. Combine these with the RELs adjustments to create something you like.

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Pete
    I use the REL Quake with my AV32R with the phono connection and it sounds fabulous with music. The REL recommendation (in my opinion) is to ensure that thebest sound is available when using a lower priced AV receiver.
    The AV32R holds it's own with most so-called audiophile 2 channel amps.

7. Welly123

Welly123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use both low and high level connections with my Stentor. Low level is great for movies but high level (TMREQ'd) is fantastic for CD using Direct or TMS7.

Using a chassis screw for grounding (on my AV192) seems to work, after eight months I've had no issues.....

Regards

8. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Russell,

Thanks for the info. did you use one of the bottom screws or top screws? I was thinking of maybe connecting it to the bottom screw on the 100x5R or failing that, finding a cheap phono stage and connecting it to the ground.

Have to agree with you on the sound. Hi level does make such a big difference. I can almost make up for it tweaking with the settings on the AV32 but its still missing something.

9. Welly123

Welly123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    REL state (ST range, high-level to mono block connection) that the Black lead should connect to the Pre-Amp chassis (in my case the AV192), not the Pwer-Amp chassis. I selected the chassis screw that looked like it had the optimum contact capabilities, even then I filed-off the "paint" and used contact enhancer.

Regards