1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub forward throw or down

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by muzz10, Jul 15, 2003.

1. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to add the last piece to the HC jig-saw and get a decent sub. I'm looking at the REL Quake and the Q150 which I could probably stretch the budget to get. The thing that puts me off is the exposed forward facing speaker cone and not so much the price difference. This is not for audio reasons but the fact that the kids could push the cones in as what happened on one of my Mission 653 tweeters.
    Is there a protective grill over the Q150's as the only photos I've seen have been exposed.
    Also while we're there, can anyone explain the difference in sound between down facing and forward speakers on the sub.

Cheers

:smoke:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I doubt whether there is any difference in sound between downward and forward firing subwoofers. I don't know the answer to your Q150 query but if you are considering the Quake please also consider the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 which I believe to be a far superior sub.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Funny, someone started a very similar thread at avs here

Ad

4. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, downward firing subs use the floor as reinforcement.
    More careful placement of this type of sub is required.
    (dependent on porting etc)

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they do come with a grille.

No, you probably shouldn't buy one. There are far better subs out there for the money, or less even. I used to have one and, quite frankly, the only thing going for it was it's size.

6. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,
    Sounds like the difference in throw placement is debatable.

After ploughing through the sub threads I now have the Velo CHT -10 on the list and will most likely go with it and use the savings on interconnects.

Cheers
    Muzz

7. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll see a better performance from a good sub with cheaper interconnects than a lesser sub with expensive interconnects

My advice... get the best sub you can afford (after demo) and upgrade the cabling later.
    Good subs can be addictive.. you'll only end up upgrading a lesser sub anyway.

NEVER buy a sub without hearing it first.

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can recommend the Mission M5AS.

It's a downwards firing sub and i'd agree with people saying you really do have to be quite careful with placement. You also need a resonably large room size to avoid boomy bass.

The M5AS is available for £390ish from http://www.prcdirect.co.uk

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tend to agree with the comment on cables. Although the common advice is to budget well for cables, i think so long as you spend a bit on cables, you will be fine. So buy as good as you can afford.

You could always consider a 2nd hand sub, say a REL storm, bigger than you have been looking at and not the best new anymore, but at £250-400 ish for a 2nd hand one, i suspect there is not much to challenge.

Ad

10. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second this sentiment... after owning many different subs (some costing pretty silly money) I have gone back to a Storm
    You can get a very good sub SH/Ex Dem for the price of an OK new one.