Sub for Tiny Room

wsg

Novice Member
I have a very small home theater room (about 8’x8’, only two seats). I was using a REL T3 in a 5.1 setup until it failed recently and I can’t get it fixed locally. (It was honestly too large for the room and was always in the way between the chairs and the cabinet.) So now I am looking for something I can put between the back of the chairs and the wall (about 9” minimum). Size is a bigger issue for me than price. (The other speakers are Focal Chorus 806 that go down to 47Hz at -6dB.)

I am looking at Cambridge Audio Minx X201 or Jamo Studio Series S 810 or Earthquake Sound FF6.5. All smaller than the REL. Anyone know of a better choice? And do I really need a subwoofer with the 6.5” drivers in the other speakers?

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Hello and welcome to the Forums!

A small room like the one you've described would probably never need a huge Subwoofer anyway, it would probably be complete overkill.

But yes, I would still recommend a dedicated Sub as:

1. It takes the bass load off your main speakers and allows them to work more freely and efficiently.
2. It fills in the sound stage in a way that you never would if you didn't have one.

I recently invested in a REL Tzero for my computer desktop system and have been really impressed with its speed and output for its size:

-6dB at 37 Hz. That might not sound like much, but I've really noticed the difference. My Kanto YU6 are rated at 50 Hz with 5.25" drivers and the REL really fills in the lower frequencies.

You're never going to get tons of bass with a unit like this, or any of the other ones you've described, and I appreciate what you say regarding size over price as I was in the same position.

I suppose if your available space can be adjusted to accommodate a Sub with an 8" driver, then you will get the next level of performance with something like this:

This is just an example, you can probably find a smaller sealed Sub, but with reduced 8" driver performance.

Good luck!:)

Educated Guess

I have a very small home theater room (about 8’x8’, only two seats). I was using a REL T3 in a 5.1 setup until it failed recently and I can’t get it fixed locally. (It was honestly too large for the room and was always in the way between the chairs and the cabinet.) So now I am looking for something I can put between the back of the chairs and the wall (about 9” minimum). Size is a bigger issue for me than price. (The other speakers are Focal Chorus 806 that go down to 47Hz at -6dB.)

I am looking at Cambridge Audio Minx X201 or Jamo Studio Series S 810 or Earthquake Sound FF6.5. All smaller than the REL. Anyone know of a better choice? And do I really need a subwoofer with the 6.5” drivers in the other speakers?
I have the Minx and for the price, size (and looks if that counts) it’s stunning. Not sure how it stacks up against the others you suggest.

barnitto

I’ve got a tiny JL Audio D108, small and mighty, not cheap though

password1

Distinguished Member
I would avoid the t zero for movies and consider the T5i or t5x.. £399 and £599 respectively. I've heard the old t5 (non i) and it's better than the minx x200 in Richersounds Birmingham small demo room.

If you're on a budget, the bk gemini 2 easily presurises a small room. I've trued mine in my home office (approx 7 foot by 9)

The minx have gone up in price. I remember they were once £199.

barnitto

The JL isn’t about playing super low, but the quality of the bass is a different league. I’d try and demo one.

password1

Distinguished Member
The JL isn’t about playing super low, but the quality of the bass is a different league. I’d try and demo one.
Unfortunately there's no where near me to demo jl home subs.

I know jl car subs are very good... I used to have jl audio gear..

wsg

Novice Member
Thanks for all the good ideas. I went back and measured the room – it is more like 6.5ft wide and 9ft deep – more like a cockpit than a theatre. There are only three places to put my subwoofer. Behind (or under) the wall hugger seats; between my feet and the cabinet (where I had my failed REL); and just outside the room in the hallway. So, the first meant a skinny box; the second meant a small cube will work; and any size will work for the third (but sound-wise probably not good). I summarized the data I was looking at in a table (attached). These are the subs I was looking at. Maybe the attached table will be helpful to someone else.

Interesting how there was little performance data for any of the skinny boxes. Gave me the impression, that the numbers were not impressive. Based on that I ruled them out even though that was my preferred solution. And I was reluctant to buy another REL since my old T3 had failed and the support was very poor. (Local shop said REL doesn’t sell parts for older models.) However, based on the info in the table I decided to go with the REL HT/1003. It will be used 80-90% movies. (For music, the T5i would have been better for me.)

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• subwoofers.pdf
    149.7 KB · Views: 46

rccarguy2

SVS SB1000? BK XLS400?

Doctors11

Standard Member
Thanks for all the good ideas. I went back and measured the room – it is more like 6.5ft wide and 9ft deep – more like a cockpit than a theatre. There are only three places to put my subwoofer. Behind (or under) the wall hugger seats; between my feet and the cabinet (where I had my failed REL); and just outside the room in the hallway. So, the first meant a skinny box; the second meant a small cube will work; and any size will work for the third (but sound-wise probably not good). I summarized the data I was looking at in a table (attached). These are the subs I was looking at. Maybe the attached table will be helpful to someone else.

Interesting how there was little performance data for any of the skinny boxes. Gave me the impression, that the numbers were not impressive. Based on that I ruled them out even though that was my preferred solution. And I was reluctant to buy another REL since my old T3 had failed and the support was very poor. (Local shop said REL doesn’t sell parts for older models.) However, based on the info in the table I decided to go with the REL HT/1003. It will be used 80-90% movies. (For music, the T5i would have been better for me.)

Thanks again for your help.
The first thing I noticed in your list was the dimensions of the SVS 3000 micro. You may have been looking at a different sub. The micro measures (H x W x D) 10.9 x 11.7 x 10.7 inches.

Do you have bass management and room correction software?

Last edited:

wsg

Novice Member
The first thing I noticed in your list was the dimensions of the SVS 3000 micro. You may have been looking at a different sub. The micro measures (H x W x D) 10.9 x 11.7 x 10.7 inches.

You are right. Looks like when I copied the measurements from the SVS site I grabbed the W and D from the "packaged" line. Great - that now looks like a viable option for me. Thanks for the catch.

wsg

Novice Member
SVS SB1000? BK XLS400?
They are both a little too large to fit my room. My old REL barely fit between my cabinet and the footrest of my chair when reclined. I would have loved to use a SB1000 - but now I am relooking at the 3000 Micro.

wsg

Novice Member

"Do you have bass management and room correction software?" - I am buying a Yamaha A4A and will use it's calibration function. (Just going to wait until the new units have fixed the HDMI 2.1 issue - current units have to be sent back to fix it.)

TB Rich

"Do you have bass management and room correction software?" - I am buying a Yamaha A4A and will use it's calibration function. (Just going to wait until the new units have fixed the HDMI 2.1 issue - current units have to be sent back to fix it.)
A4A/A6A/A8A don't need to be sent back, they are just awaiting a firmware update for 2.1. It was the A2A (and V4A/V6A) that need to be sent back for the fix.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom