Sub for specific set up….

Previously I have had it on a small coffee table , today I put it on the back of my chair as close to where my head would go?
Ok.

Have you changed some settings from the SVS app? It still should give you fairly loud test tone and the subwoofer distance = delay should show it further than it really is. So something is not right now.

Show us how you have connected it. Take picture on each receiver and sub side. Is the cable pushed to bottom as it´s usually stiff?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 43
Any type of filter in the sub introduces delay. Also, any type of dsp processing in the sub introduces delay. So, it's quite normal to see longer "distances" reported for the sub. You should leave it as MultEQ found it.

It's when the reported distance is shorter than the physical distance that we worry. Something else causes that, usually vibrations that travel to the mic via a solid surface (e.g., the floor). Sound travels faster in solids than it does in air and this can cause the short readings. The first thing to try is to make sure that the mic is isolated from any vibrating surfaces.

Here are both photos sub is in outlet 2, I’ll move to 1 , the newer SVS cable is tighter in the back of the machine going into slot one, the cable has been in this slot for years albeit powering a small sub.

I’ll re run the mic using the same thing I have done in the past on the coffee table with nothing else around it, 2 minutes…..

Attachments

• 472A7946-F151-4B1B-B7A7-40D16F8A6409.jpeg
    472A7946-F151-4B1B-B7A7-40D16F8A6409.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 31
It’s now given me the 4.6 metre instead of 0.3….. I have adjusted all speakers to small and the sub only cross over to 80.

Distances on the front are longer than actual, the rears are pretty close

It’s now given me the 4.6 metre instead of 0.3….. I have adjusted all speakers to small and the sub only cross over to 80.

Distances on the front are longer than actual, the rears are pretty close
Ok just keep those distances, the sub now is correct.

The crossover is for all speakers bump it up to 120hz as you said it sounded best like that.

Can you check the subwoofer level figure from the menu too? Example -6db

Ok just keep those distances, the sub now is correct.

The crossover is for all speakers bump it up to 120hz as you said it sounded best like that.

Can you check the subwoofer level figure from the menu too? Example -6db
Sorry your right 120 set and the sub is set to -5

Sorry your right 120 set and the sub is set to -5

Ok now if you play some action movie (bluray) with DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD reading in front of your receiver the SVS should put a smile on your face.

You can try dropping the level from -5db to -2db, that is what i did with Yamahas and it was spot on. Not too much, kind of sweet spot.

Try it on! Just got to hope you haven´t touched any other settings in the Yamaha that could limit the dynamic range. The Adaptive DRC is important to be Off, usefull for late nights mostly.

When you play the movie which has lot of big bangs going on listen in your seat first and then move forward and backward like crouching you would be sitting in those spots. Just to hear do you sit in some big null and the bass would be lot stronger in those other places in your room if you were to sit closer/further.

Ok now if you play some action movie (bluray) with DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD reading in front of your receiver the SVS should put a smile on your face.

You can try dropping the level from -5db to -2db, that is what i did with Yamahas and it was spot on. Not too much, kind of sweet spot.

Try it on! Just got to hope you haven´t touched any other settings in the Yamaha that could limit the dynamic range. The Adaptive DRC is important to be Off, usefull for late nights mostly.
Thank you, I’ll try tommrrow, can I please ask ( sorry if this is a daft question), what is DTS or Dolby? I have just ordered top gun blue ray as it’s got to show it off a little better ;)

no other settings touched thank you , I’ll try -5 and then -2, where would I find the adaptive drc as I’ll check this , thank you very much for your help

When you play the movie which has lot of big bangs going on listen in your seat first and then move forward and backward like crouching you would be sitting in those spots. Just to hear do you sit in some big null and the bass would be lot stronger in those other places in your room if you were to sit closer/further.
Good idea I’ll set the seats up when I watch it as I can move around to be like a cinema, it was all planned well apart from the poor advice I was given about my front L and R speakers ;( thank you very much

Thank you, I’ll try tommrrow, can I please ask ( sorry if this is a daft question), what is DTS or Dolby? I have just ordered top gun blue ray as it’s got to show it off a little better ;)

no other settings touched thank you , I’ll try -5 and then -2, where would I find the adaptive drc as I’ll check this , thank you very much for your help

Any bluray (action/scifi type) should do if you have connected from receiver to player using hdmi cable so you get the lossless audio formats working = best quality, best dynamics. Your receiver should show it at the front display. Press info on the front panel of Yamaha if it doesn´t show.

Go to "Option" menu. So these settings: Adaptive DRC to Off, Tone Control to By-Pass, Enhancer to Off.

Check under Speaker (Manual Setup) where you have the speaker size small/large there is "Subwoofer" set to Use and Normal, not Reversed. Also Extra Bass, this is set to Off.

Then there is "Dynamic Range" see it is set to Maximum.

That`s about it. If you have Netflix there is also some decent action flicks so you can test the system..

Checking now….
Nooo adaptive drc was on so it’s now off, enhancer is off, tone control shows as per the photo….all others are as per your message but I cannot see the dynamic range?

all these settings have been on since day one, I really hope this works ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 23
Checking now….
Nooo adaptive drc was on so it’s now off, enhancer is off, tone control shows as per the photo….all others are as per your message but I cannot see the dynamic range?

all these settings have been on since day one, I really hope this works ;)
Ok now the sub will surely come alive more and in the front corner getting boundary gain aswell so should be step up.

Put the tone control to by pass (off) or just 0db both.

Dynamic Range should be under Speaker (Manual Setup) i think.

While you are at it check first that Dynamic Range (set to Maximum) then go Speaker menu (manual setup) and from there Parametric EQ, check that you have selected YPAO:Flat.

While you are at it check first that Dynamic Range (set to Maximum) then go Speaker menu (manual setup) and from there Parametric EQ, check that you have selected YPAO:Flat.
Thank you yes Ypao is set to flat, I still cannot find the dynamic range, checking the manual and I’ll test after work… ;)

@Mr Wolf - Can you have a read of this thread and (as a Yamaha AVR owner) shed any light/thoughts as to why the OP is underwhelmed by the bass from his SVS sub?
You and @Gasp3621 know your stuff so I don't think there's much I can add here really but, assuming no hardware faults, logically it can only be either:

1. The OP is sitting in the mother of all nulls. While unlikely I do have one such seat in my (single sub) lounge system and you could almost think the sub wasn't on so worth checking other spots. Obviously, that's not my seat in that room!

2. Something's wrong with the AVR's settings. I think you've covered this really well but the only thing I can think of that my Yamaha has that I don't think has been mentioned already is the "LFE level". On mine the (factory) default is 0dB but this can be cut by up to 10dB. The idea is you use this is your sub can't handle 30dB peaks at your listening level. Frankly, I'd be tempted to do a full factory reset on the AVR if this issue isn't fixed.

3. The AVR isn't receiving a multi-channel bitstream digital signal (i.e. no LFE) from the playback device. This is easily done as PCM is often the default output on source devices. What does it say on the AVR's display? To me this is the most likely culprit.

4. The sub is woefully inadequate for the room's volume. Even with standard 2.4m ceilings, a 10m x 6.5m space is going to be at least 5,500Ft3 in volume so this is quite possible. That volume is even above Audioholics' Extreme Room size and would take a very powerful sub to pressurise to loud listening levels - PB-3000 is SVS's lowest sub recommended by AH for such a room. That said, if the MLP is fairly close to the sub then I would still expect some decent impact so this is unlikely IMO.

I'm afraid that's all I've got for you. Of course the OP could also contact SVS direct via phone or email - their Customer Service guys have seen everything before so are amazing at bottoming out issues like this.

You and @Gasp3621 know your stuff so I don't think there's much I can add here really but, assuming no hardware faults, logically it can only be either:

1. The OP is sitting in the mother of all nulls. While unlikely I do have one such seat in my (single sub) lounge system and you could almost think the sub wasn't on so worth checking other spots. Obviously, that's not my seat in that room!

2. Something's wrong with the AVR's settings. I think you've covered this really well but the only thing I can think of that my Yamaha has that I don't think has been mentioned already is the "LFE level". On mine the (factory) default is 0dB but this can be cut by up to 10dB. The idea is you use this is your sub can't handle 30dB peaks at your listening level. Frankly, I'd be tempted to do a full factory reset on the AVR if this issue isn't fixed.

3. The AVR isn't receiving a multi-channel bitstream digital signal (i.e. no LFE) from the playback device. This is easily done as PCM is often the default output on source devices. What does it say on the AVR's display? To me this is the most likely culprit.

4. The sub is woefully inadequate for the room's volume. Even with standard 2.4m ceilings, a 10m x 6.5m space is going to be at least 5,500Ft3 in volume so this is quite possible. That volume is even above Audioholics' Extreme Room size and would take a very powerful sub to pressurise to loud listening levels - PB-3000 is SVS's lowest sub recommended by AH for such a room. That said, if the MLP is fairly close to the sub then I would still expect some decent impact so this is unlikely IMO.

I'm afraid that's all I've got for you. Of course the OP could also contact SVS direct via phone or email - their Customer Service guys have seen everything before so are amazing at bottoming out issues like this.

OP had the "night mode" on as we covered all the settings so that alone kills the sub quite a bit and now the subwoofer distance also shows how it should be (+4m vs. 0,3m). I mentioned all those you write actually about the seating being in null and trying to listen in other spots when movie is on if the bass stronger there or not, also i said making sure he is getting hd sound formats when playing bluray and not using some 5ch stereo mode or ProLogic mode. He said the sub didn`t sound any better than soundbars sub so clearly there was big issue. He also now moved the sub in to front corner to maximize the performance of PB1000 Pro (boundary gain) in that large room so i feel it`s going to sound lot better after all these tweaks. He still has poor system as the LCR is in the ceiling, i don´t know what kind of druggie has given him that advice. This is what´s up now in short as you probably aren´t intresting to read the long thread with so many posts. :)

Not the best demo as Top Gun is a 1986 movie so pre-dates digital surround sound formats that have a discrete LFE channel - it's LFE content be the result of remastering. I would use a far more recent movie for the test material.

If you have Netflix, there's a disaster movie called Into the Storm that has several subwoofer demo-worthy sections when the tornadoes hit town. It's so strong that I was genuinely worried about the structural integrity of my ceiling plaster.

If you have Amazon Prime then the movie Greenland has some very powerful LFE sections too.

Last edited:
it's LFE content be the result of remastering

True but I have the Blu-ray (non-4k) and the take off scene right at the beginning is .1 tastic, it should feel like the room is going to blow up because there are two Pratt & Whitney jet engines a few metres in front of you.

If my rubbish old RELs do that, then one new SVS should be exhilarating!

If my rubbish old RELs do that, then one new SVS should be exhilarating!
Maybe, but you're not in a >5,500Ft3 room.

I could be wrong but in that opening TG scene (which I absolutely love) I always got the impression that most of that content is coming from the mains.

When the storm hits in the film Everest that will give the LFE a pounding. Bonus is that it has a good Atmos mix as well even on standard blu ray.

Maybe, but you're not in a >5,500Ft3 room.

I could be wrong but in that opening TG scene (which I absolutely love) I always got the impression that most of that content is coming from the mains.
No, I'm not that much over about 2,000ft³. And I can tell the difference if the (one) door is open or not - so can't imagine what that sort of space would need. You'd want to be sat on the sub!

Totally awesome beginning scene. And, yes, I agree the engine make a wide spectrum of noise which adds to the brilliance. But there is a huge rumble with them in the LFE.

Wonder if there is a BEQ file? :)

The sonic booms later on in the film should also help!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom