Sub for specific set up….

Its definitely better thats for sure, just watched the first part of transformers and top gun but still seems to be missing, i have hooked up my old one and it is definitely better but not a massive amount? I am unable to see how i change the cross over on the front 3 speakers, anything else i could try to make it feel a little better? My one in the front room is this one Samsung HW-F751 310W Valve Amp, Vertical Surround Soundbar - Samsung UK and definitely more punch (although the room may help as its about a 4m x 4m room?

Thank you, i found the sub cross over and changed to 80
Up this to 120Hz (in the yamaha setting not app). Only the subwoofer should be 120Hz the 5 speakers leave at 80Hz and "small"....

The sub being set at 80Hz will be losing a lot of LFE content.

Thank you I’ll up the sub to 120, still unable to find the cross over for the fronts? Thank you for your reply

They should be just where i wrote it. It´s likely that it affects all speakers so one setting for all the newer ones has individual..

Sorry it’s not there, I have taken a photo of my options?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 17E64A48-D728-406F-B2C9-AFF34AAC9ADF.jpeg
    17E64A48-D728-406F-B2C9-AFF34AAC9ADF.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 94A4D4CF-49F8-4B46-9789-7217E158B60A.jpeg
    94A4D4CF-49F8-4B46-9789-7217E158B60A.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 6C30B4EC-8015-4D16-B10C-5C79F7B0F5FC.jpeg
    6C30B4EC-8015-4D16-B10C-5C79F7B0F5FC.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 28
It must be that setting cause it was the only one mentioned in manual for speakers. It´s just different way named as you have such old receiver. Choose 80hz and put the movie on. You had the 6,5" Kefs there all around so start with the 80hz setting and if you push loud volume you can always raise it higher. The in-ceiling speakers are still bit different to boxed ones.

Yeah I had it at 80 first and then adjusted to 120 as above posts said to do that for the sub , I don’t see where i can split the speakers and sub separate, are you saying to put the cross over on the amp at 80 and then adjust higher on the sub ? When I purchased I was told in store the sub can be adjusted to suit my room so if I tell it to only go 5m x 4 m it will work out the sound differently, do i need to also adjust this? thank you I really appreciate all the help

No no. Just put it 80hz at Yamaha menu and don´t touch the sub settings as they are good. Don`t worry anything else now. Just test it out.

Aghh ok, I had it set at 80 but it still wasn’t that great , I was advised above to up to 120, daughter is off to bed now so no bass for me tonight I’ll give it a try with a full film tomorrow thank you ;)

Aghh ok, I had it set at 80 but it still wasn’t that great , I was advised above to up to 120, daughter is off to bed now so no bass for me tonight I’ll give it a try with a full film tomorrow thank you ;)
The 120Hz is the usual setting if you cannadjust the crossover for the other speakers independently.

Eg IF you could change the fronts to 80Hz and leave the sub crossover @ 120Hz that would be better. But as @Gasp3621 has said, some older receivers only allow you to set a "global crossover" which is applied to all the speakers and subwoofer. It would appear you have such a receiver, so setting this to 80Hz is the best option.

Ideally you'd have your front left and right and surround speakers placed at seated ear height too, rather than in ceiling.

Thank you all for your help on this one , it sounded better at 120 but o was only looking at film beginnings I’ll watch a full one tommrrow ;)

it’s a shame I don’t have the upgraded amp, when I got this one o was told it’s one of the best for the money but that was about 7 years ago.

my in wall and in ceiling speakers are the same but I understand the wall will give a different sound , I have also remembered another reason I didn’t do in wall for the fronts, we have all the electrics running down the wall so I couldn’t hide it and building out the wall wasn’t the best option so I ceiling got the 5.1 in and it is a neat option but I do agree having them either side of the tv would be ideal, could I get on future an in ceiling that points down that could be an option?

I do keep on going back to my loft conversion idea!!! ;) although if cost to just get better sound ha ha

Thank you

That is also problem if YPAO measured the roll-off for those speakers at 200hz and then you lower them quite a bit under, but there could be many causes for it. I think it`s quite puzzling cause you shouldn´t have at least the main l/r speakers in ceiling. Now the sound comes from the screen height and then jumps to ceiling and back. It´s just totally wrong. If you could somehow fit Kef Q150 at the sides of screen after moving things up then using that with the in-wall centre at front. Otherwise i would strongly lean toward loft conversion if you can have normal bookshelf speakers more optimally there. The only time one should have ceiling speakers is for atmos or for surround l/r if they can`t be wall mounted. The front three should be always at seated ear height on front wall!

If you still feel it sounds better at 120hz then change that one back, no problem.

If you feel there is not enough bass when you watch the blockbuster movie, hit pause and go to this menu below and you see the Subwoofer level -5,5db, change that to -2,5db and save it. Then continue the movie. I hope you haven´t changed any other settings there by your own. Adaptive DRC and those frickin night modes should be set to Off or the bass is killed.

df32fd5f-2ae9-46c8-bf96-d43936dcbbec-jpeg.1558524

Good afternoon all, thank you for your help, I have listened to a few movie starts but unfortunately this sub isn’t cutting the mustard , am a little disappointed really as I had high hopes, it’s a big thing and I expected more bass than I get from my soundbar in the front room. Thank you for all your help so far.

one thing I wanted to ask, my left and right fronts are in the ceiling , if I got shelf speakers and brought them down to ear height as per the above could I still use the ceiling for something else while in the same spot? Is atoms front and back a removing them means whole lot of plastering and this isn’t on the cards just yet…..

Good afternoon all, thank you for your help, I have listened to a few movie starts but unfortunately this sub isn’t cutting the mustard , am a little disappointed really as I had high hopes, it’s a big thing and I expected more bass than I get from my soundbar in the front room. Thank you for all your help so far.

one thing I wanted to ask, my left and right fronts are in the ceiling , if I got shelf speakers and brought them down to ear height as per the above could I still use the ceiling for something else while in the same spot? Is atoms front and back a removing them means whole lot of plastering and this isn’t on the cards just yet…..

Clearly something is not right if it can`t beat soundbar sub even. Can you move it to other place to test out is the placement giving you poor bass. It alone can make dramatic difference. Try it on the front right corner if nothing else then just to test it out is that the issue. Then run YPAO least mic positions it allows (1-3). Afterwards change speaker size small for all, 120hz crossovers. Make sure you don`t have Adaptive DRC "on" either cause it will kill the sub. Do not change anything other, subwoofer distance or anything.

You can´t have anything at the front of ceiling really. Atmos overhead speakers would be about top of where you sit now or slightly in front. Then you would have to buy surround l/r and place them at seated ear height on the sides or back of room.

Thank you, one thing I did notice running the mic, the distance was off quite a bit on the front , perfect on the rear but all 3 fronts were wrong so I used a a laser measure to get a accurate distances, could this also be knocking it off?

I’ll move to the right and try again…

Thank you, one thing I did notice running the mic, the distance was off quite a bit on the front , perfect on the rear but all 3 fronts were wrong so I used a a laser measure to get a accurate distances, could this also be knocking it off?

I’ll move to the right and try again…

Well it probably won´t get as accurate reading as the front three are placed wrong now. Hope you can consider better options to bring them on front wall seated ear height (tweeters).

Yeah run it again with the sub in new place. Set the SVS sub to -10 from the app. LowPassFilter Off.

@Mr Wolf - Can you have a read of this thread and (as a Yamaha AVR owner) shed any light/thoughts as to why the OP is underwhelmed by the bass from his SVS sub?

It’s now showing the distance on the sub at 0.3m when I know it’s more like 4metres?
Ok so there is now some issue with either of the YPAO mic, sub cable or the connection method or..

Have you connected the cable behind SVS to "LFE" and on the Yamaha you could try the other subwoofer pre-out.

Thank you , sub on the right sounds a little better but hard to say

No no something is very wrong and this is why it sounds like that. You should get distance of over 4meters shown so something is off.

Where do you have the mic when you run the YPAO, on top of your couch backrest pointing up or do you have some micstand/tripod?

Ok so there is now some issue with either of the YPAO mic, sub cable or the connection method or..

Have you connected the cable behind SVS to "LFE" and on the Yamaha you could try the other subwoofer pre-out.
Thank you , It’s only today it has started to state 0.3m, last week it was accurate? I have 2 cables tried them both one SVS new and the other a van dame cable, also tried both outputs on the amp, no change to either?

Show us how you have connected it. Take picture on each receiver and sub side. Is the cable pushed to bottom as it´s usually stiff?!

Where do you have the mic when you run the YPAO, on top of your couch backrest pointing up or do you have some micstand/tripod?
Previously I have had it on a small coffee table , today I put it on the back of my chair as close to where my head would go?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom