SUB for my LS50 WIIs

AudioPunk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi forum

I ve been building a purpose built music listening room at home.
As my budget is limited (Not crapy!! limited!) I spent ages looking for the speaker set up that would be right for me.
I wanted a streaming system that was hassle free and sounded HI.FI quality.
I ended up with the LS50s WII.

I listen to a vast variety of genres, and while some are killing it on the speakers, others are leaving me disappointed.

Jazz, blues, acoustic and folk are shining on these speakers.
As soon as i put on some alt.rock or old punk or older rock i feel i m missing something.
They are not easy to listen to, and i end up putting the volume down. I like my music loud!!
I dont want to listen to TOOL on the low!!

Please correct me if i am wrong.
But I think i need a subwoofer to ad some bass and level out the treble that s clearly making my ears tired.

If i am right in this assumption here is my question. (Finally)

On my budget i am looking at the following subwoofers

SVS 2000 pro
SVS 3000 micro
REL T7I
REL S3 SHO (Second hand model)
Audiovector QR SUB

Before everybody tells me that i should get the KC62, It is almost double the price and over budget.

I thought i would go REL all the way. But then i found out about the SVS App. I can have different settings at the push of a button.
As i listen to every genre imaginable i thought that was brilliant!!

Hope someone will have some advice to help me decide.

My listening room is 3x5 meters.

Best regards

AudioPunk

Assuming they will ship (there is an email to ask, my guess is you will get a 20% uk VAT discount but will have to add your own import and handling fees), have a look at the BK Double Gem subwoofer, two of these as stands for the Ls50wII would be a mega system (similar price to those you are looking at, 1000euro). Alternatively the XKS400 is very difficult to beat. BK are direct sellers so bang for buck is high as they have no retailer’s pockets to line.

Please don’t be horrified.

But... some, I’d say most, punk and rock albums are recorded by utterly shit imbeciles who whack all the dials right up to the stops.

The recordings are crap and sound more so the better hifi you buy.

There are some albums I can’t listen to. Oasis are a perfect example. Sound great loud in the car (for instance) but on a proper hifi they are ear bleeding abominations.

Most 70s punk that I grew up with is the same or worse.

... having said that, for bass heavy music and music that can use the extra octave a sub is a great idea.

BK are top class subs as Ugg says. A phone call will help to see what kind of price they can sell them with the uk duty removed.

Otherwise the SVS subs are also loved everywhere and their app enabled may well help integrate one or two quite well.

ED81A029-1D47-4FA3-B9D5-31F5CFE8389E.png

Kef has a really nice sub that goes perfectly with LS50s. It's on the small side and a bit pricey but if it's a fairly modest sized room definitely something to consider. I just got my Metas on Friday and am really enjoying them with my sub turned off. I have a Rel 5Ti using the high level connect that matches my setup well since I'm in a spare bedroom.

The LS50 has a small 5.25 driver so you don't want to go with a sub too big...around 8 inches matches well. I think the Kef sub would be perfect.

I had a hard time deciding between the Metas and Wii. I really liked the idea of the app with high pass filters but the biggest concern for me was what you mentioned about the treble harshness which some YT reviews mentioned it as well.

Rel just upgraded the T-series to X-Series so maybe you can find a T-series on closeout somewhere.

One thing you might want to try if you haven't already is keep the speakers facing forward with minimal or no toe-in. That should reduce some of the harshness.

Last edited:
Kef has a really nice sub that goes perfectly with LS50s. It's on the small side and a bit pricey but if it's a fairly modest sized room definitely something to consider. I just got my Metas on Friday and am really enjoying them with my sub turned off. I have a Rel 5Ti using the high level connect that matches my setup well since I'm in a spare bedroom.

The LS50 has a small 5.25 driver so you don't want to go with a sub too big...around 8 inches matches well. I think the Kef sub would be perfect.

I had a hard time deciding between the Metas and Wii. I really liked the idea of the app with high pass filters but the biggest concern for me was what you mentioned about the treble harshness which some YT reviews mentioned it as well.

Rel just upgraded the T-series to X-Series so maybe you can find a T-series on closeout somewhere.

One thing you might want to try if you haven't already is keep the speakers facing forward with minimal or no toe-in. That should reduce some of the harshness.
The KC62 is over my budget.
Thanks for the tip about toe-in. Ill give it a try:)

How many hours do you have on the Wiis? Unlike passives you're breaking in both speakers, 4 amps, and a DAC all at the same time. Gotta give the whole system enough time to break-in. I'm sure it sounds a lot better than you think it does. The Wii is supposed to have better bass response than the Metas so I'd hold off on the sub until you've put on over 75 hours at decent volume.

Last edited:
How many hours do you have on the Wiis? Unlike passives you're breaking in both speakers, 4 amps, and a DAC all at the same time. Gotta give the whole system enough time to break-in. I'm sure it sounds a lot better than you think it does. The Wii is supposed to have better bass response than the Metas so I'd hold off on the sub until you've put on over 75 hours at decent volume.
My guess is they have 50h on them so far.
Ill take all these things into account.
Its much appreciated guys!!

I use REL, they blend beautifully with the W2’s, it really depends on your room size as to which model to go for, go on the REL website it will most probably point you towards either twin T5x or single T7x. My T5i fills a 15ft x 12ft room no problems and can be bought used for under £400.

The T5i, whilst a great sub by most accounts is an still an 8 incher.

Not a lot of cubic inches, might do the lob though, in a smallish space.

And I wouldn’t touch the X series. They are a joke price.

For the same price as a T9x (a ten inch sub) you can buy a pair of these.

Two 12 inch mega subs or one Rel... hmmm...

Or one SVS and still have £660 in your pocket.

Or one of these and still have £800 to spend on non massively over priced stuff.

Also both subs are considerably less gauche than the self advertising Rel x series.

I’ve got 2 x T5i’s with my LS50’s and they do a great job

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom