Question Sub for my Dynaudio BM5A monitor speakers

firestormer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Looking for suggestions to improve the bottom end of my Dynaudio BM5A monitor speakers, they're active and driven straight from a DAC, so it'll be simpler if I can find a sub that does high pass passthrough, failing that suggestion for a suitable crossover which needs to be decent SQ, small ish and cheap. The BM5A have phono and XLR balanced inputs and their own simple high pass filter.

It'll be mainly for music in a 4x3.5m room. I also have a 5m x 8 m room I may move it to. So ideas for the smaller room and larger room please. Budget, £300-500. Secondhand is fine.

I'm after accurate, "fast" bass, none of this flabby stuff. Cheers.

The back panel.

Screenshot 2020-01-11 at 15.39.44.png

The speakers
Screenshot 2020-01-11 at 15.36.01.png

Velodyne mini-vee is a nice choice in a sealed subwoofer. They can be found secondhand on ebay.

What model is your DAC? The answer will depend on your available outputs...

This is for a 2-channel setup rather than one where you want the sub to take a separate LFE signal, right?

What model is your DAC? The answer will depend on your available outputs...

This is for a 2-channel setup rather than one where you want the sub to take a separate LFE signal, right?

Objective DAC, USB->single-ended stereo out (RCA socket), so just the single output.

You need to use some sort of splitter plugged into each of the two RCA outputs, with the cheapest option being a pair of something like this:

An XXLS400 sounds like a good option for your 4 x 3.5 m room. If you do end up moving to a 5 x 8 m room you may need a rethink though as that is getting on for three times the volume and so a rather different proposition.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
For info I'm unusual amongst most posters here in that my system is 2-channel music focused. I'll just mention that I've had very good results in using miniDSPs to integrate my subs and main speakers, including importantly applying filters to minimise the effects of room modes. This would be more expense and work but something for you to bear in mind as a long term option.

If it ends up in the larger room, I'll probably get another XXLS400.
In the mean time it'll be a single one. I've looked at minDSP, very interesting pieces of kit. In the past I've mess around with Behringer gear with sound processing and digital crossovers.
Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom