Sub for music

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by AV Geeza, Nov 4, 2005.

1. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im looking for a quality sub mainly for music (as the title states).
    I needs to be small (need that WAF!)

I am using PMC OB1 floorstanders and as good as the bass is, it dosent quite go low enough for me.
    My amp is a Bryston 9BSST and room size is around 4x5m.

My budget is upto £1000 and it must be available in maple wood.

I have heard the PMC TLE1 sub which is very good, but over priced IMO.

Look forward to your suggestions. :thumbsup:

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    if its available in maple you could try REL's Storm 5......thats not a bad sub, the REL ST series are made more with music in mind than with movies, so its suitable in that respect.....check their site and see if they do maple, pretty sure they do.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's a tall order to make up a short list of quality subs that are compact and available in maple as apart from the B&W ASW675 I can't think of any other and if you want high level connections that may exclude the B&W anyway.

4. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Sorry, doing my blatant advertising interruption again. I have a Rel Q201 in the classifieds at the moment. Nope not maple, but a beautiful rosenut finish in a very compact lttle box. Maybe not quite as good as an ST series for music, but some would find that difference difficult to detect.

REL Q201E

I'll go away now... :)

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The best sub I've heard with music is my own SVS PC Ultra, perhaps you could try a B&W 750 ex-dem.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672
    A good and powerful system there....finding a decent sub isn't an easy task,and whilst not wishing to pour water on at least one suggestion here,I also went through this a little while back,and found the REL Q201 I had was simply not fast enough,deep enough or detailed enough to make music a pleasure to listen to....thus I did what you're doing now.

I tried the B&W ASW that IanJ suggested and thought it was a very good sub for the money,as well as having pretty good extension for the price(having had a Linn Keltik active system previously).....my final choice was an SVS PC-Ultra,which isnt suitable for you given your colour/finish requirements,but the PB10 and PB12 would be worth your while looking at.....both are relatively compact,and the finishes would suit.

I also tried a few of the other competitors from REL,incl the Q400,and from M&K,Ruark,etc,and found the SVS to be easily the best value as well as the best performer,but it is a very large cylinder.

In terms of finish and quality the B&Ws(and as advised above,maybe a used/ex-dem one to extend your range further) would be a very decent choice.

7. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +340
    SVS', even the smallest ones, are pretty big, and, I believe, the smallest you can get in maple wood veneer is the pb12-plus, which is a pretty imposing addition with measurements of 18"wX25"dX25"h.

Although, you may get better for your money, if you were not worried about the size, but since you are, the Rel Storm 5 will probably be one of the best for music, which will be about as acceptable as possible for wifey whilst still getting a decent performance. It is available in maple wood veneer too.

Tim.

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    This will be ore or less a reiteration of what has been said above. But music is my main interest too.

It will be a considerable problem obtaining a new SVS Ultra anything in Europe at the moment. Size, shape, colour and finish also rule it out on all but sound quality. :thumbsdow

As said above the SVS boxes are not shrinking violets size-wise. The smallest model (PB10-ISD) is not currently available in wood finishes and has only low level conections and no crossover. Fine for an AV receiver-based system with built in roll-off filters but hopeless for a stereo system technically, though probably not on sound quality.

The B&W ASW675 is a very smart, small and powerful package but has only low level connections if high level connections are a definite requirement. But if you have pre-outs on your stereo amp then no problem there. It does have an adjustable roll-off filter unlike the PB10 which hasn't.

The REL Strata has a strong following for music in some very high-end (expensive) systems. Presumably the Storm is even better (for music) if the owner of a Strata suggests it. I haven't heard either. High and low level connections come as standard.

From a purely personal point of view I prefer a subwoofer with considerable headroom and bass extension to allow the sub to cruise along effortlessly at normal listening levels. Thus providing very low distortion for a realistic foundation to the sound quality of the music-orientated system. While still capable of shaking the house to bits when called for in an AV system or on organ music. The headroom is also useful when you want to do a bit of head banging. Or for a noisy party.

But perhaps these dual roles are ruled out on the grounds of the small box requirement. The problem is when you start to use your stereo system for film watching. (and many do) You suddenly get greedy for thunderous bass effects. A B&W 675 (or above) will certainly provide the grunt there if an SVS is ruled out on size grounds.

Nimby

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    in my first post on this thread i suggest storm 5 because i assumed you'd want as much power as possible, however if the storm 5 is a little over the size then i can recommend the Strata 5 which i own, i love using it for listening to music, it has both high and low level connections which it is capable of using simultaneously very capabley.......its remote controlled too so you can muck about from your armchair to save hassle getting up and down when first setting it up...lol (you can also turn off the LFE input completely to save any possible crosstalk if it is hooked up to an AV amp as well)......

was listening to a little Prodigy from the newly released best singles album, nobody home so cranked it up...oh wow...lol......Out of Space has probably one of the most complex basslines you can get without it being stupid and pointless, a lot of subs just give a long blurred rumble for it....but i know my Strata 5 didnt, it was lovely, all the ups and downs in the bassline were hearable and detachable.......then i whacked on Poison, oh the lovely hefty crunches in the bass on that came through gorgeously....my butt almost began to feel a little numb from the vibration by the time i finished the album...lol (im in a bedroom in a house with brick walls but wooden flooring so basically the room below acts like a bass box and returns it..lol)
    but it wasnt just rumble, it retained its musicality which is why i like this sub....ok the Storm 5 would be even more potent and capable of even more control, but for my room size (18x13ft or thereabouts) the Strata 5 is more than ample :)

ok, i'll stop harping on about it..heh.....i know there is a chance i could listen to a BK Monolith or an SVS PB something and be just as impressed (or even more so), but that wouldnt be so easy to do and quite frankly even tho it cost me £700 i think it was money well spent on my Strata 5 :)

11. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok guys, many thanks for your thoughts so far. :smashin:

The SVS PB12-Plus is bigger than I was thinking of but it looks very well made and its dimensions are very close to that of one of my AV cabinets.

That said, there may be an option of removing one of the cabinets and putting the PB12-Plus in its place.

The problem with that is I am restricted to placing it close to my main speakers and therefore not in a corner as I believe is recommended.
    The only other alternative would be by my seating position which Im guessing is a no no for music?

How fussy are these with placement? I know each room has its own unique problems but in general how flexible are these subs with placement?

I am a novice with subs so can someone explain the advantages of high level
    connections for music over low level connections?
    Im guessing its to do with intergrating the sub with the main speakers?

I have a Bryston SP1.7 processor/pre which has single RCA & XLR inputs for a sub so Im not sure what impact this has on my choice of subs if any.

Thanks in advance for your input.

12. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Right next to you has been known to work, it depends entirely on your room. The corner is recommended as it helps to boost the output, but if you are going for an SVS, it's unlikely you'll have a problem in that area :)

Subs are very senstive to placement but that is true no mater the size or design. If you pick up a BFD (EQ unit) it helps a great deal.

13. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +340
    My sub is in between the front L + R speakers, well actually next to the right speaker, but further back against the back wall. I find it very logical to put it close to the fronts. I think the main thing you need to watch is that you don't put the sub at equal distances between walls, because of standing waves etc.

T.

14. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    As has been said, placement is everything but you won't need to worry about any svs sub needing a corner. You will have oodles of power unless your room is a warehouse :D

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Velodyne would also be worth considering, if only for the imminent SMS-1 which could well make the ASW675 or similar work well for you. :)

16. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    My humble SVS PCi cylinder sounds much tighter 8 feet from the corner. Three feet from the sloping attic back wall between the right speaker and the TV. It still drives a 30 feet long room (open on two floors) to nearly 110dB. (uncorrected RS SPL meter)

Nimby

17. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    As you can't get the SVS big beasts direct anyway you will have to try and find a second hand one. For a £1000 budget you may be able to get your hands on a PB12-Ultra and as mentioned above you would have no problems with output, in fact you may find it works better away from a corner depending on your room.

Some paople seem to have no problems setting these up and others struggle a bit but there is tons of help on these forums for that sort of thing so don't let it put you off. Personally I think they look as good as they sound :thumbsup: