Question Sub for music or not suggestions for new sub if yes

Leelo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

So a serious question. I currently have an old Celestion Si sub which has a 10” driver and has a port on the front face. ( the driver is down facing). The sub is fine for LFE in movie mode but somewhat single note for music and a bit boomy. I have tried setting my Yamaha AV to bypass the Sub for the front speakers but this flies in the face of the common wisdom of using the Sub for anything below 60-80 hz. I know that I could setup 2 speaker profiles and switch between them for music and film but that’s a bit of a faff.

So what views do people have drop the sub for music or if stick with a sub which would be a recommendation for a more musical sub

Many thanks

Andy

Might sound a bit obvious but can’t you just leave the sub switched off for music instead of setting up two profiles?

Hi I did consider this but 2 issues.

1 the sub has an auto power on so I would have to physically switch it off and the power socket is hidden behind the amplifier rack.

2 if I did power it off then the bass management settings in the receiver would still send the signal below 60hz to the sub and not to the main left right speakers which means I wouldn’t get a part of the music information

For option 2, leave the sub alone and use Pure Direct or whatever Yamaha call and it should bypass the correction and just send the input channel to the output channel, ie L only goes to L and not L + Sub as per your bass management set up. Shouldn't really be more than a single button press or just create a new activity to do it if you use a Harmony.

For option 2, leave the sub alone and use Pure Direct or whatever Yamaha call and it should bypass the correction and just send the input channel to the output channel, ie L only goes to L and not L + Sub as per your bass management set up. Shouldn't really be more than a single button press or just create a new activity to do it if you use a Harmony.
Hi

Thanks for the great suggestion I will give that a try. Do you have a view on using a sub for music?

There are plenty of good subwoofers for music, it all depends on your room size as well as your wallet "size" ;-)

Hi

Thanks for the great suggestion I will give that a try. Do you have a view on using a sub for music?

You're welcome.

Whether sub or not for music, I know my system sounds better using the sub for bass duties than just the fronts, sounds much fuller, but really depends on what kit you've got.

Thanks all and yes wallet size is always a factor though from just looking at the BK site for instance their top of the range subs at circa £600 are not ridiculously expensive ( no idea if that’s what I need though) my current front speakers are largish Wharfdale speakers with a low end of around 37 hz from around 2005 that I have always been happy with up until recently and I’m looking for something else to replace them in the next couple of months. Currently looking at Focal and Tannoy as replacement options. From a musical sub are there any obvious guidelines? So I have seen generic advice like sealed subs are better for music etc for example

Sorry forgot to add room size is approximately 4.5m x 6m listening across the short distance with 4m ceiling height budget for speakers is around £1500-2000 subwoofer no idea but as I said 600 seems not unreasonable

Personally, I would get a DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033 to reduce the boom caused by room nodes. In fact that's exactly what I did!
What rather than replacing my current one? I am aware of the anti mode but not heard the effect are they relatively easy to set up?

What rather than replacing my current one? I am aware of the anti mode but not heard the effect are they relatively easy to set up?
Yup. A properly equalised sub will sound much better than a much more expensive sub in a typical room. I found it easy to set up. You just plug it between your amp and sub, put the included microphone in your listening position and set it going. It will play a bunch of test tones, measure them, and automatically configure itself.

Oh that’s an interesting option I see them on the BK site and I will give it a try I currently run both cables to my sub from the AVR as it has 2 inputs although its h with just one so I was wondering if I needed the anti mode with 2 rca socket rather than the cheaper version. It’s certainly cheaper than spending 600 on a new sub. Is BK the best place to buy it from

Sorry, but i doubt the antimode will improve much with the current subwoofer. I would first pick the XXLS400 (or at least the P12-300) and then if room modes are a problem, try the anti-mode.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom