Sub for music and some movies? On budget

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MIFF INFIDELIUS, Aug 20, 2013.

1. MIFF INFIDELIUS

MIFF INFIDELIUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Looking to buy my first sub and any help would be much appreciated! :hiya:
    I am new around here as well to the whole home theater thing so please be gentle.

At the moment I've got pioneer VSX-922-K powering pair of b&w DM 602 S3's and now looking to add sub as well.
    I mostly listen to music ( pretty much everything from hip hop to some modern jazz but lots of rock and metal as of late ) but of course I enjoy some movie too and the room is rather small-ish.

I was looking at - ( as they fit my budget and seem to be popular choice ? )

Cambridge audio S90 sub

REL t5 sub (?)

Whaterfardale Sw150

and I heard good things about BK and mordaunt sub's. Now my budget is quite limited around 220 quid top for S/H.

If any more info is needed please do let me know!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. LongStrength

LongStrength
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I can only comment on the SW150 from personal experience and for the money it is a superb sub.

I would take a good look at the BK Gemini as well - however I have not heard one.

3. MIFF INFIDELIUS

MIFF INFIDELIUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    From reading some of the reviews the SW150 look like very competent sub, more so at such affordable price range but would you say it is better suited for movies or music or perhaps it does well in either?

Could you briefly describe your listening experience with the SW150?

Also, what would be your opinion on REL sub's? They seem to be well regarded, especially for their performance with music?

Now, I am not really expecting to hit the jackpot with my first sub, rather trying to get it as right as I can and appreciate your input :)

4. LongStrength

LongStrength
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I understand.

It is hard to describe my listening experience as I, at that time, had only had 2 subs, and i had no means for a side by side.

It was punchy and competent, for that price your not getting anything special for either music or movies, but for that price, it does both pretty good, correction, for that price,. it does both very well - it's a very enjoyable £160, or should I say, it had no glaring weaknesses, it just does what ti says on the tin and does it good. (I keep saying but, for that price)

It would not suit a large room though - cracking for a bedroom.

Cannot comment on REL.

My best advice is, buy from a place like amazon, because it's very easy to return should you not be happy with it, there customer service is excellent.

Really though, mate, the consensus is a BK will give you your monies worth and a bit more.

I am not a good person to help you as i have not much more experience than you - and no side by side testing experience.

We need more input - although around here 90% of the user roll far far higher end and may have nothing to say on a <£200 sub.

5. MIFF INFIDELIUS

MIFF INFIDELIUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Going by the BK owners thread peeps seem to be more then delighted with their subs.

I think I set my mind now and going to keep an eye on the gemini 2 or better yet, the xls200.

Off to make a sub wanted thread now.

Many thanks for your input mate! :smashin:

6. sanj87

sanj87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi i agrer with long, the wharfedale wont fair well in a large room but in a moderate room it would sound good from personal experience. also i dont understand why everyone says the gemini is better i doubt it as it goes to 40hz and the wharfedale has got plenty of rumble. but i would agree to save money and get something better. because your just goin to want to upgrade like i do now.

7. MIFF INFIDELIUS

MIFF INFIDELIUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Got good deal on gemini 2 locally and even though I can't really compare it to any other sub out there as this is my first one, I am very pleased so far. I'm not even done fine-tuning it yet but IMO its really nice sub for the money and sounds great with music.

I do feel it could be better with movies, going that bit more deeper ( or maybe if the enclosure was just little bigger ?) but with music,its nicely fill the room. I still want to upgrade to xls 200 at some point ( or second gemini2? ;) but not bothered too much as again, for tiny little sub that the gemini 2 is, its great bang for the buck.

8. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    One bigger sub is better than two lower quality subs. I'd keep that gemini for a few years, save up for a monolith or 400, rather than getting another gemini.

9. MIFF INFIDELIUS

MIFF INFIDELIUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I had a feeling that one bigger sub might be better than two smaller but cheers for the clarification :)

Monolith could be however bit too much for my room ( if there's such a thing as too much hehe :p :laugh: )

10. nedmundo

nedmundo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    As a general rule of thumb (and there are exceptions), a sealed sub tends to suit music more as it tends to be a bit tighter and more tuneful.