1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub for music and movies (in that order)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by gvh, Apr 2, 2003.

1. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I might be in a position to finally own a sub soon. After mooching round this group and the power buys group its not obvious what to go for.

A summary of the criteria:

Music first, movies second - The cd player is always running, the dvd player gets used once a week.
    Price - 400 quid ish, the CHT10 offer looks spot on.
    Room - 4m squared but knocked through to dining room of same size. (detached house)

Notable Kit - Arcam AVR100, Castle Severn 2, which are not shy.

So, I think I need a sub that can take both high and low level inputs (the former for music and driven by the speaker terminals, the latter for movies and from the 5.1 outputs)

In such a case what happens when you watch a movie and a signal is sent to both inputs. Tell me the sub uses the low level input automatically ?

Am I right in thinking that it would be much more desirable to have seperate input levels for each input ?

In this case I think the conclusion is that I want a Rel St... and that a CHT-10, whilst obviously corking, wouldn't be so great with the music side of things. The AVR100's pants setup doesn't help.

You could just use the high outputs and set the front speakers to full range but I am pretty sure that the dts decoding always sends the .1 to the sub output. hmm

I can't clarify how a CHT 10 works so might be wrong here.

I guess when the time comes I hunt for a Rel 2nd hand ?

cheers and thanks

2. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can still use the Velodyne for music, as you simply set your front speakers to "small" and let the sub fill in the bottom end for both formats.

3. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi,

Have a look at MJ Acoustics Reference 100 @ £350 in black or £400 in choices of wood finish, also the reference 150 but it pushes your budget a little @ 550.

For a compact subwoofer they are pretty good.

Good luck!

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you want the sub mainly for music, just use the high level input, leave your main speakers to large and turn off all processing you can on the amp i.e. X-Over's etc.

Note I recently did this and now use the high level input for movies aswell, I don't bother at all with the low level input.

As for a sub how about building your own ? I've built 2 now one from an IPL kit and 1 based on a free design on the web.

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Or use a REL which can have both high and low level connected at once ... using separate volume controls.

I recently picked up a S/H Q100E for around £250 and I'm very pleased with it.

Vikki

6. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The thing was that I (mistakenly) thought that under DTS the amp ignored the speaker size stuff. Having re-read the manual I see I am wrong. cuh

So therefore I can go with my original plan and just stick the sub on the high outputs and ignore the low level signal.

Just hope we do get to buy the detached house we are currently hunting :)

Hmm, so what happens with an sacd/dvd-audio player and its 6 channel outputs ? Can you tell it that there is no sub and to route the bass to main etc ?
    (not bothered too much about that to be honest)

cheers

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Most SACDs and DVD-As don't actually use the .1 channel for sub. Some actually use the .1 channel for a height channel.

8. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Music wise the Gallos MPS-150 blew me away...better, to my ears, with music than CHT-15 i now run.