1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub for Mission Cinema7 set up

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by timothywood, Jan 21, 2003.

1. timothywood

timothywood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently have mission cinema7 speakers (773, 77C1, 77DS) any advice on suitable sub ? Room is about 5m x 7m. LFE signal will be from Yamaha DSPE800. Budget £250 - £500.

Any things to watch out for if buying second hand ?

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    If you're looking at 2nd hand, there are some great RELs out there: look for 2nd hand Stratas and Storms which go for anywhere between £220-£350 in a black grittex finish. Be prepared to pay more if you want some of the more pleasing finishes.

If you can, buy mk III models, though if you can't then not to worry, most people can't tell the difference between a mkIII storm and mkI [there was no mk II for the storms].

The other you could try is one of the older Q series subs. I had a Q-Bass 50 and it was superb, apparently the Q-100's are good also.

The only other piece of advice I would offer on the 2nd hand route is.....always demo it if you can [personally without the original box I wouldn't trust these items to be couriered], and don't bother with ebay - REL subs go for silly money on there.

If looking at new, then consider the following:

Velodyne CHT-10 (something like £325 in the powerbuy section)
    Velodyne CHT-15 (£685 in the powerbuy section)
    Paradigm Servo 15 (£500 from Richer Sounds, mail order only, none in the country - I think - until February).

I won't offer any other advice on the new subs, no doubt I'll get jumped on if I do;) Just click on the search button and enter "Servo-15" or "Velodyne" and it will bring up enough controversial reading to send your head in a spin and make it ache until tomorrow.

Actually I lied about that being the only piece of advice. The subs I mention above are notoriously difficult to get a retailer demo of, but if you ask on here then there will undoubtedly be people who would offer you a demo of their respective kit. Of course, in many respects its impossible to draw conclusions as every room/amp/speakers etc are different, but it may give you an idea.

If you're anywhere near Cambridge or can travel here, I would happily show you what true sub-bass is with my Servo 15:D

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
  4. Dave N

Dave N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timothy,

I have the same speakers and similar amp (Yamaha A5) to you. I have a Velodyne CHT-10 (from Uncle Eric) and it is excellent.

R
    Dave