sub for hifi

bugser

Established Member
Reaction score
roth music cocoon mc4 vacuum valve amp ipod dock
mission m33i floorstanders
ipod 80 gb

hi, when playing music strong on bass the speakers flap a bit, at first i thought the speakers where damaged but now i think that they just can't handle the bass. so i'm thinking can i add a sub and would that solve the problem and do all subs have speaker inputs so that they can be connected to a amp that doesn't have a dedicated sub connection??

:lease:

I think you're asking way too much of a 26 watt amp.

roth music cocoon mc4 vacuum valve amp ipod dock
mission m33i floorstanders
ipod 80 gb

hi, when playing music strong on bass the speakers flap a bit, at first i thought the speakers where damaged but now i think that they just can't handle the bass. so i'm thinking can i add a sub and would that solve the problem and do all subs have speaker inputs so that they can be connected to a amp that doesn't have a dedicated sub connection??

:lease:
Some subs do have inputs that allow direct connection to the amps speaker outputs, but unless they high pass (seperate the bass so only the sub handles the bass) the speakers on the sub's speaker outputs, then it won't help much.

BTW, that sound isn't the speakers flapping - it's the amp running out of steam. You're lucky it's a valve amp or you would almost certainly have blown your tweeters by now.

Russell

ok so the speakers are to big for the amp in wattage, speakers recommended power 25-100 watts amp 13watts per channel.
i seen speakers at 15-100 watts maybe they would be better (Mordaunt Short Avant 904i)
however i've something to think about and understanding the difference between wattage and volume is something i need learn about!
the amp can be loud at halfway volume but the speakers are not getting proper wattage power resulting in bass distortion!

thanks guys for the info and advice :thumbsup:

You need to pay attention to speaker sensitivity, not maximum power handling of them. Find speakers which are more efficient (more dB per watt, compared to your existing speakers)

the mission's are 90db which i thought are quite sensitive

Usually people with tube amps have horn speakers (incredibly efficient)

Unless its a push pull 304tl amp that puts out 600watts per channel :D

Most folk i know with valve amps are running > 100dB sensitivity speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom