1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub for B&W Signature 805's

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by captzerg, Dec 1, 2004.

1. captzerg

captzerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm new to the group and loving the discussions on subwoofers. I'm looking to match a sub to my Signature 805's which are on order (2 more weeks!). I'm looking for something fast, great harmonics and clarity that will blend seamlessly with my system (no movies and really not much rocknroll listening either). My set up is entirely two channel stereo. The speakers will be paired up with the T+A (www.taelektroakustik.de) PA 1530 R Integrated Amp.

I think I'm willing to go up in price, because I think the S805's deserve it (to my credit card's angst). I'm thinking a Rel or Velodyne (sp?) just based on what people have said (those are the two I'd like to demo).

Oh and can anyone recommend a good high end shop to visit in London when I go in March. Someone said they demo'd the Rel Stadium there (I think).

Kreg Z

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    It might be helpful if you can specify a budget.
    The first thing that springs to mind to me is the B&W ASW850 seeing as you already have the 800 series speakers.
    However, it is not cheap at an RRP of £2000.
    I would also highly reccommend the ASW750 at £1200.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Barrie gives good advice, those subs were my thoughts too:) It also depends what music you listen to. If you like organ stuff or other music with plummeting bass, then the ASW850 would be the ideal. If you listen to material that doesn't have anything below 20hz then take the saving and buy the 750 imho:) [I've not done a side by side comparison, but I believe the main difference of the 850 is extension].

Don't discount other brands too, SVS are shortly launching their revised wood finish box subs (I've seen photos of a couple of prototype cabinets in the making, they are going to be niiiiice looking subs:) ); slightly less in cost terms than the ASW850, but bigger footprints.

Obviously REL is an option, but since I've had no inclination to listen to one for a good 18 months (they are vastly overpriced for what they are imho), I can't really give you any advice there:)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The new REL Storm will be out in January and is supposed to be better than the current Storm which itself is one of the better subs for music. For flexibility of integration as well as performance the REL ST range will be difficult to beat for two channel applications

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Still overpriced.

6. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I recently heard the new Storm at the What Hi-Fi show & it sounded pretty impressive to me.Rel dropped it into a £30,000 electronic/speaker system & it sounded sublime,plenty of punch on kickdrums etc although the dem room was small so whether it could belt out the same amount of welly in a large room remains to be seen.Personally though,i would plump for the 850( :D ) it`s the obvious choice for your speakers(probably voice matched too)

Regards Dan

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    I don't think that comes into it in the realm of good subwoofers...

8. captzerg

captzerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to listen to alot of classical, jazz, crap anything that sounds good on SACD except for pop and heavy rock. Will be listening to lots of vocals and instrumentals. Having a high end system for the first time in my live has opened up music I wouldn't have listened to before.

Price wise I am thinking about 2 to 3 K in dollars. From what the S805's sound like I will have to push up the dollars to match how good the S805's are. I'll demo the B&W, they sound alot of cheaper.

I am vacationing to London and Birmingham (Crufts) any March. Any recs on Hi-Fi stores to visit in London.

Are the B&W's faster then the Rel's or are the Rels just overpriced. The Rels are what my dealer pushes here in California, but they have the B&W subs too. It will be easy to demo them both.

9. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I wouldnt dispute that Matt,after all i chose the 850 over the PSW4000/5000 & it sounds superb alongside my Kefs. One can only assume that the 850 was designed primarily to partner the Nautilus range of speakers,although i am sure that hi-end designs from alternative manufacturers could sound just as good.Whether B&W subs (or any other subs for that matter) are "voiced" is probably a better question for those relative company`s technical depts.

Regards Dan :)

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    How do you voice match a subwoofer to a full range speaker :confused:

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shout at them very loudly :laugh:

John :)

12. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Use similar drivers for both sub & speakers? I dont know,i am not a subwoofer/speaker designer.That is why i used the word "probably".

Dan

13. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As another 850 owner and this time one who uses it with nautilus series fronts (804s) I can`t reccomend it enough, captzerg. Hifi Experience in the Tottenham Court road carrry the full nautilus range. For shops in the West midlands, try either Music matters in Birmingham or their shop in Solihull.

14. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Where's their shop in Brum Pat? I've used Sevenoaks as my local dealer recently but can't say that i'm impressed enough by their service to continue using them..

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    351 Hagley Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham B17 8DL

or

93-95 Hobs Moat Road, Solihull, West Midlands, B92 8JL

16. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ah it's Edgbaston, was hoping it was somewhere in the city centre :(

17. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Its worth a visit and they have parking outside, rO. Loads of lovely kit to drool over. Fantastic underground dem room, too. Plus some nice brands you wont find in most places (Wilson Benesch, Chord, Kef Reference and of course the full nautilus range). Dave, the Manager at Solihull tells me that theyve just ordered the entire NEW nautilus range for both shops. Given that this is out on Jan 15th, might be worth waiting til then to see what the new subs are like. According to another thread I saw recently there will be at least two subs, one very much like the 850 and another more like the 800.
    I wonder if B&W will be doing "run-out" deals on their existing nautilus stock?
    800 signatures, anyone ?

18. captzerg

captzerg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pat for the store recs. Obviously with the way you guys are beating up the dollar :rolleyes: I won't be buying but it would be fun to look. Lets see: go to London Tower or see the new B&W subs...

I notice you are using alot of Meridian. I had the integrated G51 and the G07 as a demo for awhile. Very nice sound.

19. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    Doesn't happen, mate.

20. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    Within the same sentance you tell you you are not qualified to comment in any way since you haven't heard the sub we're talking about, then you give an opinion, and then say you can't give any advice !! Amazing. How can you possibly say it is overpriced without hearing it?
    Sorry Matt, but this is the worst thing about any forums. People giving bad advice based on a prejudice rather than qualified opinion.

21. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I use a Sonus Faber Gravis with a pair B&W 805s (not Sig). It blends well and gives the whole sound a richness and weight that wasn't there before. It's around 1000 GBP new.

I bought it at Acoustic Arts in Watford (few miles north of London) who carry quite a lot of high-end gear (inc. Nautilus).

Regards,

Jules.

22. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    if you don`t go for the 850,have a look at the new martin Logan sub. Its a bit more than £2000 but certainly all the press I have read about it suggests that it is about as musical as a sub can be.
    Captzerg - Im glad you liked the Meridian kit you borrowed. If you can, borrow a G08 which is in another league, compared the already-good G07.

23. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I could`nt help but notice that B&W are using 15" Rohacell drivers for the new 800 subs & floorstanders,whats going on there then? :confused: dont know whether the same driver will be employed in both sub & floorstander but they must share some similarities?

Dan

24. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    My comment was aimed at REL in general, and I think it's obvious by the comments that bracketed the "overpriced" one. Saying I haven't listened to one for 18 months (actually that's not strictly true, my cousin bought a Q200E and I had to set it up for him;) ) is being as upfront as you can possibly be:)

I have experience of REL subs, having owned 4 of them in the past - REL Q50, Strata II, Storm I, Storm III - and heard several others including the Strata III, Stadium II, Quake, Q150, Q200E - and in general I do believe REL are overpriced compared to the competition, nothing wrong with offering my opinion as far as I can see.

This is TOTALLY different to "buy X brand, it's great" and isn't "blind" advice in any way shape or form.