1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub for a virgin

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by GixerBoy, Aug 30, 2004.

1. GixerBoy

GixerBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys & Girls

I've read and re-read loads of your posts re which sub to buy at a price and am still confused therefore like many others I would like your adivce…. :lease:

Personally I listen to music and I like to crank the volume up :D , where as the rest of the family are into movies :rolleyes: , I'm talkin kids movies here, therefore what is the best compromise for a sub, I don't want to spend a lot of money (£350 max), and I am more than happy to go for a used sub.

I have a very moderate setup in a room size of 5.4 x 3.9 metres:-

Denon AVR1601 Amp
    Denon DVD 1500
    AE509 fronts
    AEGIS Centre
    Kef Q1 rears

I'm edging toward the MS 309 new, also there is a nice Stadium 1 for sale, whilst I appreciate it's old I understand it's a good sub for stereo but not so good for AV as it's a 10 year old design. What would be a reasonable price to pay for the Stadium, or should I stay clear?

Given the above info what do you think is a good compromise.

Also, not that this is a sub question, but I'll ask anyway. I very disappointed in the DVD player the AV does not sync, although I have been told there is a setting for calibrating the sync, I cant find it. As I don’t watch too many movies and the kids don't seem to mind I have never bothered, but it is annoying non the less. The DVD is just under 4 years old and was modified to allow multi-region which invalidated the warranty, therefore I never bothered to complain. Any ideas, I'm happy to change the DVD, but again would like one that plays CD's as well, any recommendations here, or should I post this question to another part of the forum.

TIA

Gix

2. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

regarding the sub, i'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I have a complete Avant Mordaunt Short setup, therefore I will probably go for the 309 to keep it all matching. I have not heard the sub in action but looking at the What Hifi review a couple of months back, I dont need to. Plus, as you have seen, there are many on this forum who agree that it's a hell of a sub. But then again, so is the BK XLS200?!?!? I am told that both will do the job brilliantly.

As for the DVD player, why not get yourself a new one. There are so many really good budget models out their at the moment. There is the Pioneer 575, which is an absolute bargain at £118 at Richer Sounds at the moment! But if you want something that's much better with music, I would go for the Cambridge Audio Azur 540D, which in every way outclasses the Pioneer, but is more expensive. Having said that, it is down to £199 also at Richer Sounds. I paid £220 for mine but am really happy with it! Particularly the build and sound quality. I would say the sound is on par with a good £150 CD player!

Good luck

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As MS-Yam said (I've replied to your PM BTW), I'd recommend the MS309 or the BK XLS200.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Both the 309 and xls200 do a superb job for the cost. If space is an issue get the xls200 as its smaller than the 309. Look in the budget sub test results for the pictures or PM me your email addy and i will send you some pictures.:smashin:
    Some people have been saying that the 309 isnt that good with music. I would say until you spend real money you wont get a sub that is that good with music. I think the 309 keeps up with the Heavy Metal I play and some of its very fast:devil:

5. rd350ypvs

rd350ypvs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You won't be sorry with either the MS309 (i have one) or the BK

andyw

6. GixerBoy

GixerBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info everyone, guess i shouldn't have mentioned "Virgin" in the post, may have received more replies. :oops:

Ta

Gix
    :hiya: