1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub for 2 jobs....

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mtmcgill, Oct 12, 2005.

1. mtmcgill

mtmcgill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am after a passive sub for my sound system (NAD370c amp, decks, APart Mask 6 speakers) and a sub for my home cinema system (Yamaha RVX357 amp and Pioneer DV575).

Now im kinda of the opinion, whats the point in buying 2 subs when i could just unplug the sub from one room and plug into either system as and when i need. What are peoples thoughts on this concept? and any recommendations of subs, ideas etc etc woule be very much appreciated.

Mark

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I was in this position a few years ago so I bought a QED input expander for the sub so I could swap between my stereo and cinema set ups. I soon decided I didn't like using the sub for music anyway but it seemed to work ok and it's a lot cheaper than two subs!

3. mtmcgill

mtmcgill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats for if the systems are in the same room yes? Mine are in different rooms so would just hav to lump the subwoofer back and forth.

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    If you're talking two seperate rooms then you can knock my idea on the head! To be honest I think you will find it a real pain swapping the sub from one system to another. Then you've got the problem of setting it up differently for each system/room etc. not to mention the hassle of connecting it up every time. I think you're gonna have to consider two subs or different speakers.

5. mtmcgill

mtmcgill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ye ur prob right, double the money but in the long run worth it!

so can u recommend any subs for my systems? or for that matter speaker packages?

for my sound system i want a passive sub but cant seem to find any, they all seem to be active? i hav a huge amp so need to make the most of it.

cheers for your response tho pal, well appreciated.

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Are you sure you want a passive sub? You won't be wasting your amp by having an active sub. It will just mean it doesn't get driven as hard and therefore should sound better. I'm not familiar with your speakers but assuming they are quite small then you might want to consider buying larger floorstanders which are capable of going pretty low and having no sub at all for music.

You don't mention your budget for your speaker package or sub for your av kit. I take it you're thinking of a sub and satellites? If so I can't offer too much advice as I'm using full range speakers (Monitor Audio) but as far as subs go then Velodyne make ranges to suit all requirements. I've had two of their subs and have been very pleased with both. SVS also seem very popular at the moment but I'm yet to hear one in action so I can't comment. You will find a lot of posts about them on here though as well as a power buy with what looks to me like very reasonable prices.

I'm sure someone else will offer speaker advice but if not try a post in the speaker forum.

Let us know how you get on.

7. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, Passive subs are only any good if you have some sort of low level low pass filter (crossover) + eq before the power amp, (as per car audio).
    Passive networks for subwoofers have to be quite huge to be of any use.

An active sub will also have the benefit of not loading your C370.
    I know its a good, capable amp, but you could end up presenting it with a silly low impedance with a passive sub hooked up in parallel with the main speakers.

Why not build a sub and use a BK active plate amp?
    Put it on casters and wheel it around between your systems..
    One could he kooked up high level, the other low level for LFE.

8. mtmcgill

mtmcgill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice people.

Well looks like i'll be buying an active sub then, seems the best with wot u hav said to me. dont fancy making my own, prob make a balls of that! easier to buy one i rekon.

9. fnloud

fnloud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    mtmcgill, I know the pain of searching for a decent passive sub, and to be honest I gave up and have assembled my own. Interestingly enough someone previously made reference to car audio, which is the way I've gone with regards the speaker. I found a company in the states (PARTS EXPRESS) that sell custom made home sub boxes with no speaker holes etc cut in 1, 2 and 3 cuft sizes.

Mine arrived yesterday, and I think it looks pretty good. Good time to buy from the states too. To go in my 1cuft box I have probably the last of the old series boston acoustic 12.5LF pro series car audio subs which have to be, IMHO, one of the best subs ever made. 12" fits in 1cuft sealed enclosure and 500wRMS power handling, bass so deap you choke on it. I have an old english 500wRMS monoblock sub amp, together the results are stunning; visually and sonically.

The cost?
    1cuft enclosure: USD$100.00
    Boston 12.5LF (second hand): USD$135.00
    Postage: USD$250.00

Total cost £275.00

Boston do still make a pro range of subs that are around the £250 mark, g series, but the old ones are jet black and classy. Good luck with which ever way you go put don't be put off by finding the bits to do a passive sub yourself eh can get an awesome sound for a lot less money.