• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sub experts. Am I thinking properly.

KoThreads

Prominent Member
A few weeks ago I posted that my stereo system to me needed a boost and i wondered if better speakers were the answer to better bass.

As a result I increased the bass tone control and for a while was happy, now after playing a lot of CD's I find it too boomy and muddy and started to wonder if a sub was the way to go or should i just buy better speakers.

My system is AE EVO 3 floor standers
NAD C352 amp 80wpc
NAD 521BBE CD
all cables QED.

I quite like the look of the BK XLS200MK2, but what i don't understand is my EVO 3 are quoted as 45-22k. I know they probably don't go that low but as the amp could be connected via HIGH or LOW am I right in assuming that as there is no bass crossover cut-off in a hifi amp will it be purley a case of adjusting the sub until it sounds right underpinning the EVO's as they will still be getting all the frequencies? Or will i end up worse than i am now? Or would any sub do this for me? Is the XLS200 too good for this fill-in type of job.

Room size is (in feet) 17' 6" x 14' x 9'3"

Sorry if this sounds a bit garbled but i hope someone guesses what I mean.

Thanks.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
You are right. The Evos will still receive a full range signal leaving you to integrate the sub to fill in beneath.

The XLS-200 would be a good sub for this purpose, but bear in mind it's lowest crossover is 40Hz, which should in theory work. However, speakers deliver lower bass than they are quoted once you get them in a room due to factors like boundary reinforcement and room gain. You may therefore suffer from duplicating more bass than you really want to, but there are other dodges to try like bunging the Evos ports etc.

Also, REL offer subs with very low crossovers for precisely this purpose and they are very highly regarded by the stereo boys if not the home theatre brigade. Something from the recently discontinued ST series would be right up your street.

Russell

anth1e

Banned
i like the variation in bass from the evos on their own but there is a certain something lacking, as if theyre too accurate or something, listening to music with them and my mordaunt short ms309i subwoofer sounds a lot better to me now, they blend really well.

KoThreads

Prominent Member
i like the variation in bass from the evos on their own but there is a certain something lacking, as if theyre too accurate or something, listening to music with them and my mordaunt short ms309i subwoofer sounds a lot better to me now, they blend really well.
Thats quite good timing, I was just reading a review on it that said the same.

CorbyDave

Established Member
hi all

I have EVO3 main speakers and a BKXLS200 sub. I tried using the EVO's full range with the sub underpinning, but it sounded awful, and not much better when crossed over at 80hz. Then I bought an spl meter and discovered I have a huge room mode at 40hz. After adding a BFD it now sounds fantastic to my ears!

Not wishing to hijack the thread (and this might be useful to the OP), but what would do you suggest stuffing the ports with, Russ? I still get a lot of 40hz stuff from the EVO's, despite the 80hz crossover, due to the room mode.

Cheers, Dave

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Socks or towels. As many as it takes to stuff the port firmly, but still leaves you able to get them out.

Im not saying it will definitely work, but it is free to try especially if you use your wife's socks.

Russell

CorbyDave

Established Member
Socks or towels. As many as it takes to stuff the port firmly, but still leaves you able to get them out.

Im not saying it will definitely work, but it is free to try especially if you use your wife's socks.

Russell

Cheers Russell

If I use, say, 3 socks in one speaker, will I have to increase the distance by 3 feet? :D

IronGiant

Russell

Under no circumstances use your wifes sock's, they won't have a long enough frequency response. Only use Wilsons 11-13 cotton sports socks to properly plug a port ;)

Dave

Rather more seriously, bunging up the odd port can be very helpful, just try it...

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom