1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub enclosure

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by baron samadi, Jun 6, 2005.

1. baron samadi

baron samadi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  2. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    Hi, you could make it yourself or have one made, I would pay a good installer and get one made.

I have the gti series and paid £200 for the box its sounds well its good with Pashto music it sounds "wicked" :devil: :hiya: :cool:

3. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you can cut wood and use screws and glue, then you should have a go at making the box yourself. £200 is extortionate for what you will get, unless you are talking about multiple-chambered ported designs for more than one speaker. if you are at that level of box-building requirements, then i would expect you to be using a higher spec sub in your system (no offence :)). it is also quite enjoyable and will give you a sense of satisfaction.

i have made about half a dozen different boxes in my time, and it takes about 5-6 hours from start to finish (remember what tim allen says: "measure twice and cut once"). making it yourself also means you can tailor the shape to fit your boot if you want.

there are two types of enclosure - sealed and ported (vented). sealed offers you a more overall sound, but won't usually drop as low as ported will. ported, on the other hand, will make your kidneys ache but will require a subsonic filter (usually in your amp) to prevent the sub from over stretching itself on the really low notes. the link you provided looks like a sealed box, and if you are going to do it yourself, this is what you should try first. sealed boxes allow for greater margin of error whilst still retaining pretty good performance.

the most important part is to get the right box volume for your speaker (and to a certain degree your amp). 40L is a good starting point, but depending on what amp you are using you can adjust this.

so first question - what amp do you have and what RMS output will it be giving the sub at 4 ohms?

4. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    3 order bandpass. Please dont pass judgment its not nice.

5. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ....and if you already have/can borrow the necessary tools for the job. If you can't you could be spending more than 200 quid :)

A professional box can be bespoke include, perspex windows trimmed in alacantara etc so £200.00 could be reasonable.

If you put the woofer in a smaller sealed enclosure then the box will 'tune' the sub not enabling it to throw out the lowest notes it can.

Chances are if you are not adept at building or don't have the equipment one of these ready built wedges would do the trick nicely for you for the moment. 28ltrs vs 40ltrs may not make a huge diffference, sound wise, to the majority

6. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    thank you.

7. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree to a point, and that point is how much your car audio means to you. the whole point of car audio to me is about the audio, not necessarily the visual. so, perspex windows and alcantara are fine if you are creating a work of art in your boot, but the majority of your £200 will be spent on materials and labour, and not necessarily on the design. you could end up with a polished turd (to coin a phrase).

Mr Ayub has not told us what music he listens to, what car he has, what amp he has, the rest of his car audio system, what power will be driving the sub, what he wants from his sub - nothing, so to blankly say "3rd order bandpass", "sealed", "ported" or anything else will be making assumptions on his behalf. as someone who has built several boxes, i can say that your musical preference and available RMS power are the two key factor that will determine what type of box is required, not what looks best. if you are after what looks best, then fine but you are kind of putting the cart before the horse IMO. once you know what you want, then you can start worrying about how to build it.

getting the lowest notes out of a sub is all in the design. i have seen and heard sealed enclosures that have wiped the floor with 'off the shelf' ported enclosures in terms of how low they drop. the volume of the box is very important too, and if JBL are recommending a 40ltr box then i would try and find a 40ltr box, if you want a pre-fabricated one. there are loads of these boxes available to buy. if you go down to 28ltrs you will be limiting the bottom range of notes available to you and will reduce the overall output of the enclosure (unless you increase the power to the sub). if you have, say, a 400w RMS amp at 4 ohms (even bridged channels) then you can get away with going for a smaller box whilst retaining the same output. if not, then go for the recommended size. they recommend it for a reason.

if none of this matters and all you are after is some lower extension to your current system, then by all means just buy any old box and plug it in, as the car is hardly the ideal environment to recreate audiophile quality sound. if, however, it means more to you and you want to try and get the most out of your system, then invest some time into understanding the dynamics of box design. it will pay dividends in the long term. a good box can make any old speaker sound good, a bad box can make the best speaker in the world sound awful. i have seen Transmision Line enclosures make a single 6" midbass driver sound like a 15" sub :thumbsup:

8. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Some of the best sounding installs I have heard are also the nicest looking :smashin:

I admire car audio more that home hifi because of the effort people put in. You can have the best equipment available and throw it into the boot if you want but most who spend the money would want to make it a feature and build false floors amp racks etc.

Some of us don't like to have just boxes in the boots and prefer to use fibreglass and other materials to mold an install so it looks as intergrated as possible.

Best thing about car audio is the freedom to create, something you don't necessarilly get with home hifi

9. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +580
    2 phoenix gold zero.3 ( running each woffer)
    2 Jbl gti's 1200

i dont lisyen to music anymore, my taste was mixed from trance to marley.
    I have the woofers in the car " because i dont know what to do with them)
    The rest of the audio system is just as good.

The box is a simple design which was first pained black then re covered in black leather nw its in carpet lol.