1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub dilema

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stellavision, May 24, 2003.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Ok guys here's my snag?
    In the last couple of months I've completely revamped my home cinema setup with all new gear. (see my sig for full specs)
    I bought the M70AS sub to go with the rest of my M70 speakers and it does seem to give a lot of LFE with its 10" driver in my 13'X12' flat.
    However, I here people saying that a good sub should cost around £500 (mine cost £200) and I'm thinking now of upgrading again to to M5AS.
    I'm possibly falling into a trap here in that I'm thinking I've bought excellent speakers but seen my self short on the sub, when in actual fact I don't think it sounds that bad.
    Do you think that I would find any significant improvements to my system by getting the M5AS.
    My wife would probably go mad, but hopefully get over it eventually!

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    sounds to me as if your getting the first symptoms of upgradeitis:(
    If yor happy with the way your system sounds then stick with it.You've only just bought it so sit back and enjoy it for a while. You'll have to bed the components in before you realise it's full potential.
    You could upgrade your sub for a better/more expensive one that gives you the added performance you want but this would then possibly make your other bits of kit your limiting factor and it all starts over again.
    Hc is a most enjoyable hobby imo and can enjoyed at various levels of price / performance.
    We are all looking for av/music nirvana and if getting a better sub gets you that little bit closer go for it:D

ps. My name is Hawklord and I've got upgradeitis:devil:

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The bigger Mission will probably go deeper and louder and would be ideal for anyone living in a detached double glazed house. The key to your requirements could be in the word "flat" as if you tried driving the bigger Mission anywhere near it's capabilities the council would be round with a warrant.

If you are happy with what you have don't upgrade just for the sake of it

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I realize that going louder and deaper in my first floor flat probably is'nt a good idea, are these points likely to be the most substantial improvements. Bearing in mind I don't use my sub for music (just movies) but I find it vey difficult to calibrate this thing as the white noise can be up and down and all over the place when setting to 75 db. It'll hit 75, go down to 70, maybe to 72 etc... Is this just a sub thing in general anyway?

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Try getting an average reading on a spl meter or change the response setting so the reading doesn't fluctuate so much.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Stellavision
    I had the mission m5as at home to demo had to take it back.It needs plenty of space to sound its best .If you havent got the room to accomadate the sub which is very large you will have trouble with boomy bass, in the right surroundings it is an excellent sub and performs very well but close it in and you will have trouble getting it intergrated with your system and it has got the power to rattle your neighbours teeth out .
    If your intent on changing your sub try to get them on home demos before you buy then you can be sure that youve made the right choice.Btw my room measures 16'x14'.
    Cheers Gonzo

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanx for the advice.
    I think I'll stick with the M70AS.
    I suppose its ample for what I need at the moment.
    Cheers for the input.