1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Decision

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jasoncp, Dec 31, 2002.

1. jasoncp

jasoncp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Need a sub asap thinking of going for a 2nd hand M&K V-125 for about 500

how would this sub compare to say the velodyne cht-10?

ive heard the velodyne in action but never an m+k

any views would help greatly

asap too

:)

thanks

ps would stretch me budget greatly but cht at 180 ish more worth it?

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Ok..

What was your opinion on the Velodyne CHT-10 then (ok I'm looking at this as well)..

To be honest.. if it impressed you why pay more.. esp when you will have 3 years warranty with it... if you really hate it or want to upgrade when money allows.. then you should easily sell it on .. I mean how many come up for sale here.. I've never seen one so far.

Please let me know what u thought.. I have not had the chance to demo yet :)

Matt

3. jasoncp

jasoncp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    the problem realy is this is my first sub purchase and my m8 bought a cht 10 from uncle eric but ive only realy been able to compare it to a yamaha 80/130 i think it was and that wasnt side by side so its difficult to tell.

he was tryin to pick out the right film to show it off to me ,in the end showed speeder type race in the phanton menace.it did sound good though.

so i have no real comparison

so hopefully some kindly person will be able to answer me and give u advice also

cheers matt

jason

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason,
    The MK125 has a slightly larger volume and a 12" cone instead of the CHT-10's 10 inch driver. Even though the CHT-10 is slightly more powerfull at 150 watts instead of the M&K's 125 watts, the MK will go a little lower with a little more dB.

By all accounts, the CHT-10 should not be able to live with the V125 as the M&K is almost 3 times the price (£945 new)
    However, the CHT-10 does get close (which is why, IMO its the bargain it is).

For much less than the price of a new MK125, many here have gone for a Paradigm Servo 15 (£500 when available from Richer sounds) and the Velodyne CHT-15 (also servo powered, £684 from our power-buys) and to be honest, these will both murder the MK V125.

Having said that, at £500 Dans price is good. Just my humble opinion.

Your choice.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    For what it's worth,here's my few pennies worth....when going through the last part of the endless upgrade cycle,I listened to several subs prior to buying a REL201(before anyone begins to slag REL,it was chosen for it's in room response in a 200 yr old house!).....I was treated to a session with an M&K MX200 and an MX700 and was amazed by how poorly damped the bass rsponse was.
    Admittedly it was in some ways an unfair comparison as I was using triamped active Linn Keltiks as the reference,but the opposition(REL/Linn/Velodyne)fared much better.....IMHO.