1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub cutting out

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mannannan, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Mannannan

Mannannan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not a technical term but....

My sub seems to be cutting out during quiet parts of films, even when it shouldn't as there is still some bass signal.
    That is to say it goes into standby mode and then comes back in again when there is some work to do.
    It does this switching off with an audible click and also clicks when it comes on again.
    As you might imagine this is very distracting.
    It also affects the overall sound of the movie by doing this too.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Speakers are set to small, and the Sub is connected via LFE jack (so crossover shouldn't function??).
    It's a JBL scs series.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know your subwoofer model but this does seem to be a problem with some American subs. Assuming that you can't switch the "Auto" off it seems that one way that might help is to increase the signal level into the sub. If the sub has two LFE inputs, try using an adaptor and sending the signal to both inputs.

3. Mannannan

Mannannan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian, but there is only one LFE in for the digital set up.

Maybe I'll set the Sub volume to Max and set up from the reciever...
    Would this help?

It is not very neighbour friendly though, which is why I didn't have it like this before, can't control the volume fast enough!!!!

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you increase the sub output in the amp setup you can always reduce the gain within the sub itself to compensate

5. Mannannan

Mannannan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you mean to increase the distance in the amp set-up and decrease the volume on the sub. Thereby making sure the signal going into the sub is as powerful as possible, and hopefully the volume control on the sub is not linked to this kill-switch that appears to be inside?

thanks a mil,

I'll give it a shot tonight.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    No, the distance setting just sets any delay to the subwoofer signal that might be necessary. You should be able to increase the subwoofer volume level from your amp and then reduce the volume on the subwoofer itself.

The distance settings and gain settings are very different but you have the right principle.