1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Crossover with Kef Q setup?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jon smith, May 11, 2005.

1. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I have the following mix and match setup (the front 3 are quite recent additions)

Kef Q4 floorstanders (left and right)
    Kef Q6c (centre)
    Gallo Micros (rear and EX rears)
    Kef PSW2500 sub

All running through a Pioneer 2014i receiver.

What crossover should I be running these at, as the fronts can certainly handle lower frequencies better than the rears. Should I set the sub crossver at 80hz, or do I need to put it around the 100hz mark to protect the rears??

Should I put some speakers as large or all speakers as small, even the Q4s??

If I put the crossover for all at 100hz and set them all to small I can't help but feel I may as well have used Q Compacts for the fronts, as they would have been able to handle down to 100hz just as well as the Q4s?

Changing rears is a no go at the mo as I don't think i'd get away with anything bigger in the flat.

Please help as it's confusing me...

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I would set the fronts and centre to large and set the rears to small, set the bass to both main and subwoofer and if I remember correctly the kef speakers go down to about 50hz so set the crossover to around there.
    If you set the rears to small the will not be affected by the bass.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Jon - The best bet for you is to experiment as to what sounds better.

What worked for me was having all speakers set to small, including the Q4’s (they aren’t the ‘bassiest’ of speakers around) and a crossover of 80hz iirc (although did have it at 100Hz at one point).

Regarding your comment about using the compacts, I don’t think that is entirely true as cabinet size does not only affect bass. Iirc the compacts use smaller drivers than the Q4’s (although don’t quote me on that) therefore they would be weaker anyhow.

Btw, how does the Pioneer sound with the Q-series? I only heard the Denon and Yamaha models with the Q series when demo’ing & somehow think the Pioneer’s ‘brightness’ would match the Kef’s ‘warmness’?