1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Connections

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mike-M, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have been searching on the forum but only ended up more confused!!
    I have a XLS200 and was wanting to try it with my stereo amp for playing cd's. I have two independent systems for movies and audio. Can I connect the high level to the audio amp for music and the low level to the av for films? or don't it work that way.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike i suppose you could but you would have to keep adjusting the gain on the sub when changeing from one to the other which can be quite annoying but i don't see a reason why you can't do it!

John

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sounds like a good plan to me, the XLS200 has seperate gain controls for the high and low level inputs.

Also (for any other readers) you can always trim the subs gain for the stereo amplifier and use the AV amps internal channel calibration so that both can be used.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even better sorry did not know, thought that was a Rel thing! :)

John

5. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    eviljohn,

Are you saying that I could control the high gain using the sub control for music and then use the AV amp settings to adjust the low gain for movies? So I won't need to keep adjusting things when switching between movies and music.
    Also if i make a mistake (which I'm bound to do at some point) and play a movie without switching the music amp into standby (or visa versa) what damage might I do!

6. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Oh

and should I connect the high gain to one of the B speaker posts on the audio and set the switch on the amp to A&B

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Hi Mike, with a lesser sub then that's exactly what I'd do.

The XLS200, however, has seperate gain controls on the back for the high and low-level gain (the 2 knobs nearest the phono/neutrik connectors).

You need to connect your AV amp to the phono socket as you normally would and adjust the low-level knob on the back of the sub until it's right (ideally you want an SPL meter for this). Now turn off your AV amp, that part is all set up.

Next you need to connect your stereo amp to the sub using the supplied Neutrik connector (the professional locking one). Now play some music, unfortunately the channels aren't discrete here so you'll have to play with the high level knob until you're happy with the integration between it and your normal speakers.

I'm afraid I can't advise on which binding posts to use though but I can't see your suggestion being a problem. Try them both and see what happens (I won't be held responsible for any damage which ensues though ;) ).

I'm sure someone else can explain it better though :)

8. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Eviljohn,

You've explained that just fine and of course I won't come knocking at your door if I cock it up.
    Can you tell me a bit more about this SPL meter thing, would it be worth me getting one?
    And if I do end up one night accidently trying to use the music and dvd at the sametime would I be likely to do any serious damage or just blow the fuse in the Sub?

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    SPL meters are very good tools but can be a bit expensive for the amount of use they receive (typically only once when you set the system up).

You don't mention what amps you use but when you first set up your AV amp you'll probably have gone through each channel with a test tone and adjusted the output by a few decibels (dB) so that they're all the same volume and integrate better. All the SPL meter does is quantify the sound level that's output so you can accurately set each channel. You can also use them to get an idea of your subs frequency response (output for different frequencies) and adjust that with the phase, gain and maybe a parametric equaliser if you're feeling flash. There's loads of information on this site about it, do a search for things like SPL meter and BFD, don't be too scared by the technical terms - there's not much to them once you get the hang of what you're looking at. Your AV amps manual will probably have information on them too.

They're about £25 from places like Keene Electronics but (if you havn't fluked the perfect system setup already) do provide one of the best improvements available for comparatively little money. I'd say put it on your Christmas list :laugh:

Using both music and DVD shouldn't be a problem at all although I havn't tried it. Hopefully Tom from BK might have a quick look in and provide some information on this one :)

10. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

Firstly, connecting two pieces of equipment is possible and should work fine but there are instances when you cannot do this. As all systems are different the only way to find out is try. I know that some class d amps are a problem and any amps that are bootstraped internaly. The XLS200 has a 10 Ohm 2W resistor on the return earth on the high level input and if there are any of these problems this may see 50% of the amps power across it and burn out. But I would say your 99% ok.

Tom