1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub connections for 2 channel vs Home Theatre

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by buddyj, Aug 19, 2004.

1. buddyj

buddyj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What is the best way to connect a sub to your amp, a RCA/phono or Speaker level. If I want the best for both music and home theatre can you connect using both methods at the same time or will I have to settle on one or the other?

2. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I do this and it is easy providing you have a ht amp with preouts that you can connect to another stereo amp that has speakers A and B connections.
    Then you can let the stereo amp run the front speakers with your sub connected to speaker B at high level (speaker cable)
    Your ht amp will power the centre and rears and connect to the sub at line level in the normal way.
    When watching a film you just select speakers A on your stereo amp and for music you turn the ht amp off and use speakers A and B on the stereo.
    Unless your sub has separate volume controls for hi and lo level, you have to keep adjusting the gain on the sub however which is a slight pain!
    Now I have read this back it looks like gobbledegook but it is easy to do and I am sure someone more literate than me will be along to explain it better soon!

3. buddyj

buddyj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about this? Does double wiring the front speakers cause problems?

[​IMG]

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It depends on which sub you have as some (REL in particular) are very flexible in sonnections whilst others are less so