Sub Connection Query from Dummy

Mr_Rick

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
please pardon my ignorance but can't seem to find answer to this via search. I have an Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp which is already driving two pairs of speakers for music in 2 different (adjacent) rooms.
I often play the TV or DVD audio through the amp and whilst I have no wish to go to full surround sound I do have a spare REL Q100E doing nothing and I thought I might connect that up for some extra bass. As there are no spare speaker terminals on the Alpha 9 could I just connect the pre-amp out sockets to the sub's low level inputs or would I be in danger of overloading the amp if I was using both sets of speakers and the pre-amp out?
TFYH

If I remember correctly the Q100E also has high level inputs which means you could run an extra set of wires from your speaker terminals on the amp to the sub. The pre out is also an option and the subs filter will take care of X-over etc

Your memory is mostly correct. There is a high level input on the Q100E as well but it's one of those neutrik jobbies (which I don't currently possess) and as I don't really want to mess with the banana plugs in the Alpha 9 speaker terminals either I think I'll give the pre-amp route a go.
Now just got to find a way to tell my other half that we're going to have a sub in the room!
TFYH

Yeah REL isn't too big but as we already have two subs, 2 centres, 3 big fronts and 3 surrounds plus separate hi fi speakers in the lounge I'm not sure how well a sub in the conservatory will go down.
As for my backbone - I'm seeing the osteopath :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom