Sub connection quandary

Spick72

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I currently run a Denon 3600 with a B&W ASW 608 sub and am picking up a new musical fidelity amp tomorrow to use as both a power amp with its HT bypass for my L/R channels and as a 2 channel with a Node 2i as its source. My question is, if I connect the MF to the sub via high level for the best audio connection in 2 channel mode and it is also connected via single rca to the lfe on the Denon then when it is being used as a power amp for movies the sub will be connected to both amps at the same time? I get how it connects for 2 channel and I get how it connects for HT but how would it work together? Proper head scratcher. Can anyone help? The MF amp does have pre outs and the sub has both high and low level inputs if this helps

Hi, that clip shows a neutrik connector which my sub does not have.

I am trying to understand how I can connect the power amp and receiver to the same sub. When watching a movie both the power amp and receiver will be connected to the sub at the same time using both the lfe and speaker connections on the back of the sub which does not sound either healthy or right to me!

Apologies, I though you mean't a high level connection via then Neutrik connection. So you are trying to connect via RCA and LFE to different amps? Is that correct!

The Denon drives 9 channels and the new power amp will drive the front L/R channel. Currently the receiver is connected to the sub by the LFE. When I bring the new power amp in then I would connect that to the sub using the speaker terminals on the amp to the speaker terminals on the sub. If I listen to 2 channel the receiver is off and everything would work. It’s just when I watch the receiver because the power amp is in the loop and active driving the front L/R both the power amp and receiver will be both be on a driving a signal to the same sub. One via the speaker connections and one via the LFE channel. I don’t see how that would work? For a start the lfe channel would be not sending anything over 80hz because of the AVR settings and the speaker connections to the sub would send full range unless I set the high level output on the sub to curtail those. God my head hurts just explaining it!

I see your quandary and its not something I've ever tried. If it had been via the connection I mentioned you shouldn't have had an issue as the connection types are different. But as you are using the RCA from the HT AMP in power amp mode for the front two speakers when in cinema mode plus the woofer whilst the woofer will be driven by the Denon via the LFE.

I would say it would be more on the ability of the woofer and whether its designed to work that way. Voltage could be an issue and because of this, I'd say a quick email to the subwoofer manufacturer should be able to answer that.

If it will not, then changing your woofer to one that will work with the high-level Neutrik connection

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom