1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub confusion!!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jonny, Nov 14, 2000.

1. jonny

jonny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive decided to add a sub to my pro-logic set up, but im totally confused about how it will connect to the system and work with it.
    I have a sigle phono socket output on my amp labled sub woofer out, can i connect it to this, becuase all the subs i have seen have 2 phono inputs. Ive also heard about speaker level wiring, will this work, and if so will it work better?
    My other worry is that my amp has no buttons to tell it that a sub is connnected, so will it send the same amount of bass to my front speakers as it would without a sub connected? or will it send most of the bass to the sub (like i want it to).
    Ive alredy looked at the home cinema set up questions on this site and it doesnt help me!

So id be very gratefull if someone could explain it all, Thankx, Jon.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Given that you have a subwoofer out at your AV amp I would assume you should have some setup option to tell if you have a sub or not, it could be "hidden" in the speaker setup (SMALL / LARGE) where SMALL may activate the output.

As for the connection check if the sub has an input labeled 'mono', or you just use a Y-adapter to connect.

For AV setups you will usually connect via line level (as described above) only, speaker level connections are of more use in stereo-only systems (since stereo amps usually don't have subwoofer outputs).

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner

3. jonny

jonny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help but my amp only has seting for the center speaker, which are wide and normal modes, the normal mode is the one i use because my center speaker does not go below 100hz so it sends the base to the front speakers, the other mode is used if your centre speaker can go below 100hz so it is of no use to me!
    The sub output is labled as sub woofer pre out and nas no info on wheter i should use the y connector like you said.
    Have you got any advice now ive given you the extra info?

Thanks, Jon

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Nope, no clue. Check the manual if you still have it, else post the make and model of the amp - that might help us ...

5. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Just connect the pre-out to sub on your amp to either of the two line inputs on the sub and it will work fine. Assuming the sub is active, you'll need to switch it on, adjust volume level and crossover frequency to your taste.

6. jonny

jonny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not a very popular amp just a TEAC AV8500. If i connect the sub to the pre out then adjust the bass and crossover to the sound i like, will i be able to turn the bass down on the front pair just by using the bass control, thus makeing the sub handle most of the bass? Do u think this will work? or do u think turning down the base will affect the sub pre out in the same way as the front pair?

Thanks again for all the help, Jon

7. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon, to determine if turning down the bass in the mains affects the LFE....try it and see. I couldn't find any information on that particular Teac amp. Is it a HC amp...Prologic,DD,DTS? I would imagine if it is at least prologic, by changing the front speakers to small, it will automatically route most of the bass to the subwoofer. Also if you further turn down the bass in the mains, it will ot affect the LFE. It will also not route the additional bass to the subwoofer, but you should be able to find a happy medium where the subwoofer blends well with the speakers. What type of speakers and subwoofer are we talking about? You may not be giving the speakers enough credit, they very well may perform down to 100Hz

8. jonny

jonny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a pro-logic amp but it has no way of telling it if the speakers are large or small like almost all other amps have! Ive looked all throught the book and there is no mention of how to tell the amp about the size of the speakers"
    Im using some cheap sony speakers but im goin to get some mordaunt short 20i next week. Its just that although the mordaunts may well go low enough in terms of hz there going to be very close to a rear wall and the bass is amplified so much with my current speakers because of them being close to the wall, so i thought if i could add a sub and it would limit the bass going to the fronts thus making the sound from the DVDs sound how its meant to be instead of being incredibly bassy!

Thanks, Jon

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Jonny,

I don't understand why you don't buy a dd/dts amp instead of a woofer. A dd/dts amp would be the best way to improve your sound without doubt.

If money is the thing then 200 quid buys a sherwood from richersounds. A woofer would be a very good addition but the dd/dts amp is a must and should be top of the list.

Anyone else feel the same ?