Sub confusion - which one? UGH!

M

Mattus

Ok, so everyone round here seems to be a fan of BK, however (and I know this is frustrating) I've yet to find a bunch of mag reviews for their gear. It's hard to not get out of that "best buy" or "EDs choice" mindset but I just want to be sure that what I stick my money on is a great product. I have recently done this with a little known amplifier in fact - and it WAS a great move, thankfully - but I had found it reviewed by some guy with 3 grossly expensive ref systems on a web page and he gave it a thumbs up.

Anyway, anyway I digress. I put a post on hifichoice forum about sub suggestions and one person said that that MJ Acoustics are better and not to trust an unknown make (I disagree that unknown =rubbish by the way) -yet another person came up and said that BK in fact MAKE MJ Acoustics subs!

I've looked at the Gemini and the XLS200 and both look great to my eyes and very well made -although despite being a 'gear' fiend I don't really have a clue about under the hood stuff so would have no idea what's good and what isn't.

Ok so I babble too much, sorry! I guess my ultimate question would be this - Gemini or XLS200? I could afford either and I love all the extras they throw in for you too. My room is 14 x 16feet (5 x 4meters) and I just want a quality peice of gear to underpin my already great stereo system and fill things out a bit as well as adding some low, fun stuff to my DVDs! Although I love home cinema I don't want something that merely slams and bangs.

XLS200.
Even better, a Monolith or SVS PB10.

All the above are high quality subs at very cheap prices.

Slams and bangs? :eek:

You've said yourself, everyone on here seems to like them, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Just do your research on these forums and you'll see for yourself ;)

I'd make the person right who pointed out that BK make MJs.

The XLS is very similar to a REF 200 but minus the remote and wacky digital crossover and about £350. Everything about the XLS200 points at it being a good sub for stereo use. At music levels it exhibits only moderate distortion of a predominantly second order nature and displays very low group delay - a quality that all so called 'musical' subs seem to share.

A bit more info on your system would be handy to know.

Russell

I've looked at the Gemini and the XLS200 and both look great to my eyes and very well made -although despite being a 'gear' fiend I don't really have a clue about under the hood stuff so would have no idea what's good and what isn't.
'Looking' is one thing, but you really need to get to hear them. What one person expects or needs from a subwoofer can be totally opposite to someone elses requirements. Some require depth, some require control, some require volume etc etc. Write down your requirements and go listen to a few and see what you think. If it matches your requirements and is within your budget, job done.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom