1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub choice help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by The Italian job, May 26, 2005.

1. The Italian job

The Italian job

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi. This is my first post, so cheers everybody :hiya: .
    I am ready to go with my first sub and need your expert advice.
    I am mainly interested in 2 way Hifi,(music), but have a basic AV set up :mad: which I am planning to upgrade little by little, so movies are important too.
    I have A Marantz SR4200 Reciver for 5.1, feeding my hifi Unico amp for front end AV through pre-out, so I actually use as front speakers the same Totem Arros that I use for HiFi.
    In a few week I will be moving to a Victorian house end of terrace, so I can push the volume as high as I like :D . The concert hall will be about 6.5x4.4mt (20"x14"). Size of the beast is not really a problem, although I prefer something not requiring a team of dockers to move it around, let's say below 110 pounds.

My shortlist include a model from SVS, or BK XLS 200, or the Monolith.

- I am sure that the SVS will give me the best quality . It could by the PCi 20-39 or the RB12-ISD/2, the latter seems to be the SVS model most suitable for music (is that correct?).
    The cons for the SVS are the higher price, the troubles about international shipping and custom duties (can anybody tell what I will end up paying in full for the ISD-2 costing $900?), the size and weight. But my main concern is that it seems that SVS subs do not have separate volume controls for high and low level inputs; so I believe every time I go from music to movies, I will have to phisically get up and readjust the whole set up. Is this right?

- THe BK XLS200 will be a cheaper, reliable choice, also simpler to buy and to get support in case of problems; it is much lighter and, from what I read in this forum, everybody seems to be a happy owner, especially with music. My main concern will be that it may lack the power to fill my medium-big room, but I might easily integrate a second one in the future.
    - From the recent review, the Monolith seems to outclass the XLS 200 quite easily (at least for movies), also looks like a great bargain and I am seriously considering it, although I would be really interested to read some feedback about music capabilities.

The set up of the unit for both music and movies is very important for me: I believe both BK models allow the following: connect the low level to the sub pre out in the AV receiver, connect the high level to the hifi amp; adjust the the cross over frequency of the high level for hifi, disable the crossover for low level. This way I should be able to switch from music to movies without any further fiddling in the subwoofer.
    Does it make any sense?

Sorry for the long post, but I will not be able to demo any of the above models and will have to buy based only on your suggestions. :lease:

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
  3. The Italian job

The Italian job

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Jus, thanks for the link.
    It actually reassures me about technical issues. The lack of a double volume control is still a bit of a problem, but I think I can live with it.
    After carefully studying the SVS website, I think I might go for the PCI+ 25/36, which seems to be tuned for music. Is the PC+ worth the difference compared to the PC?

Still any comment of users of SVS with a hifi 2 way set up compared to BK or REL would be most appreciated (I am sure that for movies the SVS is far superior).

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I believe that the PC Plus range is worth the difference over the PCi as it has a more powerful amp, port tuning abilities and most important of all, an uprated driver.

Nimby is the expert on using SVS with high level connections so hope that this thread catches his eye

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I find the BK's ability to be linked to both a HiFi and AV system, with separate gain controls, at the same time to be a real bonus.

The XLS200 would do fine in that size room, the Monolith would be fantastic...PJ :thumbsup:

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I have to disagree I'm afraid PJ, as good as the XLS200 is it will struggle with a room that size. I think my pair is about right for my 3mx3m room with high ceiling. The Monolith would be the best BK offering for a room that size and has even more input flexibility! :)

7. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you buying SVS add 22% on top of what your paying.

I presume it's 22% of the woofer price and not 22% of the woofer and shipping price, can anyone confirm this?

You room is very similiar to mine, height wise mine is 8 feet high

erik from recommended the 2531 for my size room, so the 2039 would surely fit your requirements.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm pretty sure it's 22% of unit plus shipping. I'm sure Ian will know the answer. :)

9. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Since you can't have the sub without shipping costs, the import and VAT taxes apply to both shipping and subwoofer prices. This is what put me off gettin a Rocket UFW10 sub.

Russell

10. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    You will pay import duty 4.5% on the sub and shipping then on that total you will pay 17.5% vat, It isn't 22% at all.

11. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    cheers Bob, they're really clever at making the max out of everything.

The 17.5% of everything you buy & import duites means my sub is 9 dollars dearer then i'd orginally thought.

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    My room is over 4m x 4m and the XLS200 doesn't struggle one bit. Agree the Monolith, by all accounts (few as they are;-), is the way to go if budget accomodates...PJ :)

13. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    What other subs, if any, did you demo before going for the BK? I ask as I will be getting a sub in the next month or so and want to know the relative quality of BK subs. I know there are a number of "I think BK subs are great" threads, but I am interested in any direct comparisons you may have made.

Russell

14. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Russraff, have you read these threads?
    We did a proper comparison of the XLS200, Kef PSW2500, MS309, MS909 and Paradigm PDR10 here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137930&highlight=budget+test+results

and Ian/Kazman/Scott3 compared the XLS200 to the PB10 here from about page 5:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185319&highlight=budget+test+results

A number of us have heard the BK and a few other subs if there are any that you're particularly interested in opinons on although it may be better to put this in a new thread. :)

15. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have read a few threads. However, after the disaster of getting a REL Q200 via mailorder without listening to one first, I want to get all information possible before making a decision. Honestly, the Q200 was easily one of the most dissapointing subs I have everheard. Due to this, I still have trouble persuading myself to order anything AV wise without listening to it first. The good feedback on the BK, it's small size and good finish seems to be helping me make the jump. Just have to hold onto this new job I start on Wednesday, first( :eek: ) before I make any decisions.

Russell

16. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I don't think the XLS200 is capable of outperming the Q200 but it does cost less than half as much. :)

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Don't know much about the Q200, but I'd tend to agree with ej. The BK "does exactly what it says on the tin"...

275W amp (mines the 200W version)
    Small sealed enclosure
    10" speaker
    beautifully made and finished

I can't imagine anyone being disappointed. Unless you are after truly earth shattering, mind blowing grunt and then you have to look at the SVS's or the Monolith (or that monster Sony)...PJ :)

PS I didn't audition anything, just went on the reviews/opinions on this forum :)