1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Cables

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Begbie2003, May 21, 2003.

1. Begbie2003

Begbie2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very new to home cinema and have to admit i dont know a great deal about it.
    Given my lack of experience i've used a local dealer to install a system for me. Most of the work has been done to a reasonable standard though i do have issues with some of it. The main thing is the sub cable they are using, i've paid £50 for 3 metres of it and to me it seems very insubstantial for the money, maybe 3mm thick. It appears to be unbranded apart from the number 3002 down the side. When i asked how much it was a metre the guy became quite aggressive and wouldnt tell me.
    Given that i'm planning to buy an AV 3803 and a £500 sub would this cable raise any concerns for you?

2. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If that is the dealers attitude then dont pay him, I'm sure anyone on this Forum would want to know the make and grade of cable if they were paying £50 for it.

As for sub cables have a look at qed or profigold for prices:
    http://www.qed.co.uk/main.html
    http://www.laservision.co.uk/

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The cable could be fine just because it feels insubstantial doesnt mean that its not very good. But I agree that it is strange that the dealer was funny about it. When you get a breakdown of the work the dealer has done for you, you can check that he hasnt ripped you off. What are the plugs like on the cable?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I wouldn't pay £50 for an unbranded 3m cable to attach to a £500 sub. I would suggest that you give it back to the dealer and buy a branded cable from either eddie's link or forum sponsor Hifibitz at half that price.

I have a £25 cable on a £900 subwoofer

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a £12 sub cable for my Mission 70ASE sub. Keep things in proportion.

6. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I made one of these cables to connect to my Servo 15 Click Here

It really did improve the dynamics quite a bit and sounded much better than the IXOS cable I had before. Worth a go if your bored one Sunday afternoon :D

Cheers

Dave