1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub cable

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mr. shr, Aug 29, 2004.

1. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK so thanks to all you guys on this forum, I've found my sub!!!! I've decided to go for the BK XLS200.

It arrived last week and I think it's better than any of the other subs I've tried to date. I can't believe I was going to buy the REL Q150 for almost twice the price.

Don't get me wrong, the REL is a great sub but I'm not sure it's worth £500. Especially when the BK does the same job (maybe even more) at almost half the price!!!

So a big thanks to those that suggested trying the BK. I'm very grateful.

However, as with evey sub supplier, it comes with the worst lead in the World!!!! I reckon a piece of string would give a better response!!!!!

Can anyone advide on a good cable to buy? I need a good length of it, about six meters.

Thanks.

shr.

2. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the BK club :hiya:

You are probably best going for the Mark Grant cable in the powerbuy section, but if you wanted something a bit cheaper you can get a 10m Profigold cable or 9m Ixos cable from here for around £20-25. I have the 3m Ixos cable and it sounds pretty good to me, but I'm sure that the Mark Grant cable will be even better.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Mark grant all the way:smashin: I upgraded to the Mark from and Ixos cable and noticed an improvement in the bass output. So IMHO it was money well spent.:D

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Mark Grant cable is definitely good. Also consider making one up yourself, there's loads of info in the Cables and DIY sections.

Glad you like it :)

5. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Excuse my ignorance but who's Mark Grant and where can I see some of his products?

Looked at some IXOS and PROFIGOLD. They seem ok to me but it seems everyone favours Mr. Grant's cables!!

6. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are in the Powerbuys section under AV Hardware General in these forums (sorry can't seem to get a link to paste in for you :confused: ). He does subwoofer, digital coaxial, stereo phono & component cables.

7. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try either the Black Rhodium Rhythm/Subzero Lightning (I think they are one and the same with just a different colour jacket) subwoofer cables available on ebay (if you can pay via paypal) especially the ones terminated with Eichmann Bullet plugs. It's a tight, fast sub cable and with the bullet plugs will extract more detail than with regular plugs. IMO the best sub cable for around £20 and they come in 5m lengths. There are none on ebay just yet but no doubt they will appear shortly and are worth the wait. It's also a 75ohm cable so you can try it out as coaxial too.

8. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So are the IXOS and Profigold not as good as the Black Rhodium? Who stocks Black Rhodium?

9. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wait a few days and I'm sure either the Black Rhodium or Subzero ones will appear on ebay there's usually a sale once a week. They are so much less on ebay with the bullet plugs. If you can't wait then the Mark Grant one will be good.

10. kraal

kraal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

I have this sugestions:
    QED SR-SW
    QED P-SW
    Audioquest G-Snake
    Nordost
    VDH 102 MK3
    IXOS XHW406
    Mark Grant Canare LV77S

Can any one make one quality ranking?
    I'm looking for one also. ;)

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have no idea about the price's of the above cable but I would bet that the Mark Grant cable is as good quality or better and cheaper than most of them. As someone once said "Superb cables for Beer money" :beer:

12. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kraal,

Of the ones you mention I can only comment on the D102. I use it with a Marantz SR4300 and reckon it shows up the bloated bass that this receiver produces. It does not tighten or extend the bass any nor does it add more bass weight to the mix. What I'm getting at is it will only give you the bass as output from your receiver/processor. If you have a receiver/processor with great bass and would like to keep it exactly that way then it's a good one to buy, if however you want to change the output any way (tighten or add more weight) then I suggest you look elsewhere.

Hope that helps some.

13. kraal

kraal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Grinder,
    Thanks for your opinion.
    VDH 102 will cost 66€.
    I have friends that use the QEDs cables and they like (50-80€).
    And there is the G-Snake that have good reviews also (45-50€).
    Mark Grant LV77S (£42, with shipping)

Any other opinions?