Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

sub cable thoughts

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by karkus30, Jul 3, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Well Im buying one of those Mark Grant cables and was just thinking how it was the first time I would be able to compare a OEM patch cord to a proper cable. Every piece of kit I have bought has meant getting a proper interconnect so Ive never used a patch cord (bloody hell maybe they are better :eek: ).

Then I thought, giant subwoofer putting out so much bass, that, during loud scenes, has me and the missus hiding under cushions. Fit new cable. Oh yes, thats so much better, we need some thicker cushions :rolleyes: How Im I going to tell the difference ? Its easy with most equipment; image , clarity etc. But a sub lacks image, it shouldnt make its position known.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I await your comments with interest. i don't suppose that you would like to try a decent mains cable too.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've tried a few cables for interconnect and mains.

Changing the interconnect cable only made a difference to the sensitivity of the input. (Connecting Denon 1802 to XLS200).

Changing the mains cable to a braided DIY one definitely lowered the noise level (tested by increasing the sub gain, it's obvious to hear when serious noise starts kicking in).

What I didn't notice were any changes in the actual signal integrity so some more comments would be good. Why spend so much otherwise :confused:

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Well, heres the thing. I have a mate of mine who usually does all my hifi trickery and mods, but he has disappeared for a while. This is why Im buying Marks cables.

I was a tad sceptical about mains cables and mentioned them to him. He replied that they definitely made a difference, but needed different types of cable depending on what they were used on. So, before his 'Bilbo Baggins stylee' disappearance he was making me some cables to try out, CD player, power amps etc. Everything that he makes has improved the performance of the system, so, Im already convinced. It comes as no suprise that a subs performance can be enhanced.