Quantcast

Sub cable - Is quality important?

Ian Carter

Novice Member
Having just purchased the MS309 I am wondering how important the quality of sub cable is. I currently have it connected via a 5m version of the free phono leads they supply with most electrical equipment.

Now I don't want to spend a fortune but would a 'non-Free' interconnect serve me better?

Thanks

Ian J

Banned
The freebie bell wire connectors are of very poor quality and an upgrade should bring sonic improvements.

Mark Grant makes and sells an excellent subwoofer cable and a 5m version would cost you £41 via the Powerbuy forum as opposed to many times that for the equivalent quality in the shops.

Have a look at the special prices being offered to forum members here

buns

Banned
Or of course you can make your own.... but to answer the question, a quality cable does matter for the sub

ad

Cmoth

Novice Member
Subwoofer cable quality should be treated the same as interconnects. The difference should become apparent. You may have seen i have one for sale at mo, QED, about 4 metres, is that long enough or do you need 5m the same as you have at the mo ?

Colin

Ian Carter

Novice Member
Originally posted by Cmoth
Subwoofer cable quality should be treated the same as interconnects. The difference should become apparent. You may have seen i have one for sale at mo, QED, about 4 metres, is that long enough or do you need 5m the same as you have at the mo ?

Colin
Thanks for the replies. I spotted your cable and thats what prompted the question TBH. I'll need to measure up but I don't think 4m is going to be long enough. If it is though I'll have it, provided its not already been sold by then.

S

Spearmint

For DIY I always use RG6 Quad Shield Coax, crimp F-Type connectors on each end then use F-Type to RCA adaptors.

This solution provides a hum free installation. (Provided there are no earth loops of course, I mean from induced AC sources)

E

elcid

Cmoth said:
"Subwoofer cable quality should be treated the same as interconnects. The difference should become apparent."

Exactly how do {audio} differences become apparent? :rolleyes:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

rogeralpine

Standard Member
Spearmint said:
For DIY I always use RG6 Quad Shield Coax, crimp F-Type connectors on each end then use F-Type to RCA adaptors.

This solution provides a hum free installation. (Provided there are no earth loops of course, I mean from induced AC sources)
Exactly the problem I had with a home made cable from what I'd describe as above-average components. Of course, my soldering could have been :eek: - but from what I could tell, it seemed fine.